Friends and family don't get it...

In the process of preparing for the upcoming exam, it has been necessary for many months now to withdraw a great deal from family and friends. Bless their hearts for being my family and friends, but they will almost always underestimate the sheer difficulty (and sacrifice) involved. Their attitude is generally, “Ah…you’re worrying too much.” I just want to smack them six ways from Sunday whenever they give me that attitude. I take some offense as to how how little they respect the caliber of the examination. Anyone else going through this?

Dude, you’re worrying too much.

They think it’s like the SAT or something. Just remind them what the failure rate is (almost 70% for L1, getting down to about 50% at L3). That usually helps people gain some perspective.

get some new friends.

Gordon Gekko said it best: ““No feelings. You don’t win them all, you don’t love them all. You keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog.””

I got a dog.

and then if you keep passing they think you were overreacting all along!! Can’t win. Oh well, 30 days or so and it will be all over more or less, save for the worrying and the freaks who come on here trying to reconstruct the entire exam from memory collectively. Why people don’t have better things to do post-CFA is beyond me.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and then if you keep passing they think you were > overreacting all along!! Can’t win. > > Oh well, 30 days or so and it will be all over > more or less, save for the worrying and the freaks > who come on here trying to reconstruct the entire > exam from memory collectively. Why people don’t > have better things to do post-CFA is beyond me. Dude, are you kidding?! I love the post-mortem!

All you’ve got to do is drop the study books in front of them and tell them you’ve got to remember all this stuff for a 6-hour exam. I have a buddy who is taking Level I for the first time in June and he said he has a newfound respect for me b/c he had no idea how much work was involved. Non-CFAers just don’t get it until they start leafing through your exam books and see really how much there is to it

JRH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All you’ve got to do is drop the study books in > front of them and tell them you’ve got to remember > all this stuff for a 6-hour exam. I have a buddy > who is taking Level I for the first time in June > and he said he has a newfound respect for me b/c > he had no idea how much work was involved. > Non-CFAers just don’t get it until they start > leafing through your exam books and see really how > much there is to it my friends didn’t understand until they saw my stack of books (CFAI and Schweser). they asked how much of that do i have to read? all i could say is, “all of it will be tested.” that got them off my back for a while

There’s always a disconnect with anything that takes a lot of sacrifice. No one will completely understand how much work it takes and nor should they.

My folks were the best at applying pressure. After I cleared the first two levels, my mom would hit me with “Level 3 of that certified financial analyst testis the easiest one, you should do fine”. Firstly, my folks wouldn’t even know where to sign up for the CFA. Secondly, “Certified Financial Analyst”? Are you freaken kidding me. CERTIFIED. Argh! Even today, three years after getting the dam thing those comments still piss me off. Willy

“I got a dog.” I have one and I feel really guilty about not taking him to the park as much as I should… feel like a bad parent bribing him with marrow bones to chew on so I can study w/out him climbing all over me for attention.

Me: I can’t go out this weekend. I have too much studying. Friend: Can’t you do it next weekend? Me: AAAAGGHHHH!!!

I just tell them this statement. CFA - It’s not just an exam, it’s a way of life.

Or…“Oh yeah, why don’t you sign up for it mom/dad and waste 250+ hours of your spring and early summer”. Willy

1. Danny when is your exam? 2. Are you taking the GMAT or the CFA? 3. When are you gettin fired?

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My folks were the best at applying pressure. After > I cleared the first two levels, my mom would hit > me with “Level 3 of that certified financial > analyst testis the easiest one, you should do > fine”. Firstly, my folks wouldn’t even know where > to sign up for the CFA. Secondly, “Certified > Financial Analyst”? Are you freaken kidding me. > CERTIFIED. Argh! Even today, three years after > getting the dam thing those comments still piss me > off. > > Willy You got served!

pacmandefense Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1. Danny when is your exam? > 2. Are you taking the GMAT or the CFA? > 3. When are you gettin fired? Nothing will ever beat the classic comparison to the Series 7/CSC etc.

I have no friends and family…it’s just easier.