FRM brotherhood 07

Actually the handbook is pretty hard. I haven’t seen Schweser yet. I almost wanted to buy Schweser now. What would you do if you were me and with 10 days left? maybe only thing left is “pray”… Maybe I will do it next year after all.

lxwqh…i have the files on PDF. my email is frankarabia_28@hotmail.com. give me a shout. I’ll see if i can send it to you. i’m praying too.

dude. thank you so much; email is on the way…

Frank, when did you start studying for the FRM?

former trader, September 28. i took a week or two off after CAIA. big mistake. I also read that big book which i think was a bad move. that took me me a good 2 weeks and i learned a lot of stuff that will NOT be on the exam. but oh well, pressure is on, and I’m here to fight. don’t want to end up like Jermaine. lxwqh, no guarantees, but i’ll see if i can send it. I’m at work but i’ll get to it ASAP when i get home.

Frank, understood… best luck to all brethren who will take the exam. I am feeling the heat. 10 days left. I will really bust my tail this time. I started like around 10/1. The big book is a big mistake. Difficult to understand… Some Ph.D’s better not to write books.

I think the book was pretty well written. the problem is, it is a handbook and not good for preparing for the GARP cirriculum but it should come in handy in the future I believe.

Frank, curious to know why you chose the FRM over the PRM? After you complete your charter, you’d only have to do 2 exams at the date of your choice (avoiding the stressful situation you’re in). Not to mention you wouldn’t have to pay the annual fees.

Fomer, 1) I have the time at this moment to do the FRM. I’m a discount brokerage rep right now so i have to make the best of my time. 2)i don’t want to take a bunch of exams later. I hope to be preoccupied with my job only and not have to worry about anymore exams. if PRM was completable with just 1 exam, i definitely woudl’ve considered it. But i want to learn what i have to learn ASAP.

actually the given core readings (which we were suppose to print it out) explained things pretty well compared to schweser and the handbook… i also realized the questions from previous exams were worded exactly from the handbook, but u cannot find it in schweser… and did u guys notice this… some of the questions were exactly the same from different year’s exam.

i believe in knowing the material and passing. trying to find shortcuts is never a good idea in the long run. it’ll come back to hunt you like a lazy jab or leaving your hands down. Ask Jermaine Taylor.

I passed FRM last year. 1) Those who dont have general idea of how capital markets work, should go through FRM core readings. Otherwise, in my opinion, that is not required. 2) Atleast one reading is required from John Hull recommended chapters. 3) If you skip step 1, go through at least once Scheweser notes. 4) FRM Handbook really, gives you how to approach questions. This is very important considered the lengthy questions. In this book, you will learn how to eliminite wrong answers, and come close to the right ones. The tricks are taught in this book. Do not bother about QUANTITATIVE stuff like taylor expansion etc.etc. in FRM handbook. IMO, not many questions would have quantitative stuff needing you to use CALC. It is approx. 10% of qtns you would use CALC. With my experience, you would hardly use CALC. The questions are given in such a way that if you have working knowledge you can easily eliminate some wrong options. The CALC will come handy, mostly, with FOREX questions. In any case, IMO, FOREX stuff would be tough, given the time constraints, and you have to use CALC. Operation Risk, qtns will be very lengthy, but with commonsense you would be able to answer them. Regarding credit risk, know thoroughly the MODELS and their differences. IMO, No need to remember Formulas for these models. If you have not gone through the material by any reason, do not take tension. As opined by many last year, the questions from the exam and the recommended readings have least correlation. If you are cool and with general Idea on Cap. markets, your chances of passing are there. All the best.

Has anyone found the knowledge acquired from the FRM useful in research or whatever sector they’re in?