from front office to back office..... been 1 month now

and I love it… My shop is great for someone young in their career. My MD is great and the VP on my team is awesome. We work pretty long hours but the learning and future jobs that I could move into are wonderful. I am in a 2 year program to rotate through various roles in back and mid office. I am hoping for product control next then emissions. Everyone said it was going to be dead end. I feel much better then in my analyst role in investment management. And they pay 100% of MBA. Sweet!!!

Huh??? No, honestly to each his own. I’m in the BO and hate it, I’m much more of a FO guy. I hate the fact that working in the BO you learn more about processes than the market or analyzing securities. It’s also more involved in resolving “problems” and making sure everything functions smoothly then analyzing and creating something. I’m glad you’re happy though.

I am having a blast and learning a lot. I agree about the process but my firm is still real small so we are growing and people have muti roles. The time and a half does not hurt either.

1.5x pay is what i miss most about BO. next would be the shorter hours. somtimes when i’m hungover i miss the montonous work too. that’s about it though.

stylemog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1.5x pay is what i miss most about BO. next would > be the shorter hours. somtimes when i’m hungover i > miss the montonous work too. > > that’s about it though. Everything becomes monotonous sooner or later.

SomewhatDamaged Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > stylemog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 1.5x pay is what i miss most about BO. next > would > > be the shorter hours. somtimes when i’m hungover > i > > miss the montonous work too. > > > > that’s about it though. > > > Everything becomes monotonous sooner or later. actually that’s a good point. parts of my new job are getting montonous. but its to relative degrees.

yeh i agree… to each their own, but if you’re happy, then good for you… i hated back-office work, the monotony of it, and the “brain-deadening” of it… but having said that, there are great careers in back office if you’re good at what you do… my boss was a great guy… he actually started out in Citibank as the mail-boy, then after 15 or so years, worked himself up to be VP of the asia-pacific region processing/settlemtns dept… and he’s rolling in the money aswell, which is a plus