From IT to FO

I think he’s doing financial risk management.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know what’s crazy? You would think having a > PhD would give you an advantage in being a quant. > But you are in competition with people who have > multiple PhDs… You’re doing it wrong then. If you’re clever, you can easily compete with those who spent 10 years in academia. Focus on practicality, better/newer technologies, work ethic.

Ok I just went through a bunch of listings looking for quant analyst on the CFAI jobline, and all of them say phd required in a heavy math discipline stat/engineer/physics. Starting salaries about 150k range Kudos to someone who can get it without the required phd.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok I just went through a bunch of listings looking > for quant analyst on the CFAI jobline, and all of > them say phd required in a heavy math discipline > stat/engineer/physics. > > Starting salaries about 150k range > > Kudos to someone who can get it without the > required phd. Are those entry level quant positions?

That’s more or less the going rate for (good) new PhD quants. If you don’t pay them a lot from the start, they’re not going to enter finance. Anyway, $150k is pretty cheap for PhDs in the grand scheme of things. New MFEs from a good school (for instance, UC Berkeley) get about $130k on average.

CFA Jay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What is his personality like? I think personality > is instrumental to getting a FO gig. I rarely see > introverted people in FO positions. He has a really fun extroverted personality. He is gifted in explaining complex ideas into simple sentences.