From IT to VC

Hello all, I work in IT, but my undergrad is in History from a university less than 50 years old, paradoxical I know but hear me out before you beraid me with insults. I work down the hall, and three floors down from the Portfolio Management team of my firm and I was wondering how hard it would be to make the transition from IT with a degree in History from a paradoxically youthful university to Portfolio Management. The Portfolio Manager I spoke with mentioned that I should earn my CFA designation, while the Institutional Sales Director gasped when he heard me repeat what the Portfolio Manager had told me and said that the only reason why anyone would say such a thing would be to befuddle the truth. The IS Director said that the CFA is the poor man’s MBA and it will never get you serious consideration from Institutional Clients. With this knowledge in hand, I returned to the Portfolio Manager to challenge him on his assertion that the CFA was indeed superior and you know, he told me that the most important thing to remember is that the only reason why god created the MBA is so that people with more money than brains could have a credential as well. With that as a backdrop and keeping in mind that while I can probably attain an offer from a Tier 1 MBA school while only attaining funding for a Tier 2 out of state school, which is my best route to take if my career objective is to become a successful Venture Capitalist?

vcfah^2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I returned to the Portfolio Manager to > challenge him on his assertion that the CFA was > indeed superior You lost it right there. It’s not the degree or being in IT. The above shows lack period. Some things you don’t argue. For example, if a client likes eating strawberries in the morning, you don’t tell him “no you don’t”. There’d be no point to do so, and only harm.

This is seriously getting old. Its not funny. You are lame.

Well, you want to get into PM, so who cares what the IS Director says. Work hard, do what the PM told you to do, and if does not have a position for you, I am sure he has contacts he can refer you to. Show him what you can do man!

I give your thread a solid 5/10.

Haha. This will never stop being funny until people stop making real posts about this topic.

Gold: I work down the hall, and three floors down from the Portfolio Management team of my firm

VC is a tough nut to crack without any previous work experience, MBA, or CFA. The CFA probably is not going to help all that much. Your best bet would be going to a top b school.

The MBA alone will not get you anywhere close to becoming a VC. VCs will treat you with disdain if they are being polite. A better bet is entrepreneurship.

Combining the two previous posts => major in entrepreneurship at a top b-school

I work with a Carlson grad