fund accounting

I agree, Fund Accounting is a great great way to learn about mutual funds and stuff. But the problem is that the learning curve isn’t too too steep. Like I figure after about 6 to 9 months you’d be board stiff. A couple of reporting cylces is all you would need and I cannot see much value being added by staying in FA. So yeah, in that way I can see how one might view the role as extremely shi t ee. Willy

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree, Fund Accounting is a great great way to > learn about mutual funds and stuff. But the > problem is that the learning curve isn’t too too > steep. Like I figure after about 6 to 9 months > you’d be board stiff. A couple of reporting cylces > is all you would need and I cannot see much value > being added by staying in FA. So yeah, in that way > I can see how one might view the role as extremely > shi t ee. > > Willy You could learn about mutual funds, but if it’s a first job out of undergrad then most people (myself included) were too caught up in learning the tasks that they didn’t think about the big picture. So while there is an opportunity to learn, I think that many people can do the job for 2 years and not learn much. It’s up to the individual.

I got stuff out of this for about 6-9 months. I don’t get anything out of it anymore.

I mean it definitely teaches you about the fund operation side of the business…but one problem though…reading the fund’s prospectus ~ 1/2 afternoons at Starbucks + reading the fund’s recent MRFP ~ 2/3 afternoons at Starbucks…Bob’s your uncle. Willy

wha whaaat?

SanFranMatt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WillyR Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I agree, Fund Accounting is a great great way > to > > learn about mutual funds and stuff. But the > > problem is that the learning curve isn’t too > too > > steep. Like I figure after about 6 to 9 months > > you’d be board stiff. A couple of reporting > cylces > > is all you would need and I cannot see much > value > > being added by staying in FA. So yeah, in that > way > > I can see how one might view the role as > extremely > > shi t ee. > > > > Willy > > You could learn about mutual funds, but if it’s a > first job out of undergrad then most people > (myself included) were too caught up in learning > the tasks that they didn’t think about the big > picture. So while there is an opportunity to > learn, I think that many people can do the job for > 2 years and not learn much. It’s up to the > individual. Definitely. The job doesn’t require you to think about finance and it doesn’t MAKE you or FORCE you to learn. I remember when I first started I was trained by people that were telling me, “type this in here, print this out, just add these numbers.” And when I asked, “What is that? What does that mean?” They responded…“ahh that’s just…don’t worry about it.” So it’s basically about learning processes. I only realized what I was doing after I left the job.