Funded status is underfunded

If the funded status is $85M underfunded, and the unrecognized actuarial gain is $12M and unrecognized prior service cost is $27M, what is the amount of the net pension liabilities reported according to IFRS, $70M or $100M?

85 + 12 -27 = 100 M

Kaplan answer is 70M…

think of it this way. Pension assets of 100 and PBO under GAAP of 185 (hence the 85 underfunded.) 12 actuarial gain needs to be added back to the 185 and the 27 needs to be subtracted. Under GAAP, the gain lowered the PBO and the prior service cost would increase it. Since under IFRS, the adj PBO would be 170 and the asset cost would be 100, so the funded status would change to 70 underfunded.

The correct answer is 85-12+27 = 100 IFRS balance sheet liability = the net underfunded amount + deferred expenses - deferred gains. GAAP balance sheet liability = net underfunded amount. The deferrals go to OCI. Where in Kaplan are you seeing 70? francis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If the funded status is $85M underfunded, and the > unrecognized actuarial gain is $12M and > unrecognized prior service cost is $27M, what is > the amount of the net pension liabilities reported > according to IFRS, $70M or $100M?

ok so the USGAAP numbers already include the unrecognized stuff and we need to back these two items out of PBO to arrive at the IFRS Net Pension Liability. Thanks Piwanowi, that was helpful.

Pinowa, from reading the notes, my understanding is that the only difference between IFRS and US GAAP is reflected in the funded status. Are you saying the PBO and Asset plan also differ under?

It should be 70. IFRS is a smoothed number, so remember under IFRS, it will be a smaller number compared to the number under US GAAP, which is the net funded status. Hence, more volatile reporting under US GAAP because small movements in the components of Plan Assets or PBO cause big movements in the funded status. So intuitively, if the plan is overfunded (assets>PBO), it will be a smaller (+) number if the plan is underfunded (PBO

Iginla2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It should be 70. > > IFRS is a smoothed number, so remember under IFRS, > it will be a smaller number compared to the number > under US GAAP, which is the net funded status. > Hence, more volatile reporting under US GAAP > because small movements in the components of Plan > Assets or PBO cause big movements in the funded > status. > > So intuitively, if the plan is overfunded > (assets>PBO), it will be a smaller (+) number > if the plan is underfunded (PBO be a smaller (-) number > > Now, back to the equations and formulas - > if it’s a cost: add back > if it’s a gain: subtract > to get a smooth number for IFRS > > Hope this helps It should be 100, not 70. 85 - 12 + 27 = 100 You cannot make any assumption about the size of the amount. It depends on unrecognized G/L, not ‘smoothing effect’.

Iginla is right on the money

underfunded i.e. negative 85 -85-12+27=70

I was wrong indeed. It’s 70. Let’s look at it this way under GAAP: liability = 85 OCI = 12-27 = -15 under IFRS, you eliminate all OCI, which results in liability = 70

It should be 70. Underfunded = Negative = PBO > PA Unrecognized Cost = Positive Unrecognized gain = Negative. It’s a note I took and it applies all the time.

The correct answer is 70. My previous answer of 100 was incorrect. I see now we’re all ready for a massive pension problem on the exam!