Game plan

So I opened up the box and the books are now staring at me. I am mentally ready to start reading again in October. Here’s a loose gameplan that I might try to stick to. If any folks out there that failed or passed last year have tips on which sections might bog down time more so than others (sure, depend on the person, but you know what might be more review vs new stuff), pls advise. October- Quant/Econ (using cfa materials, looks like about 100 pgs/week). Order basic schweser in mid-oct, decide which to use as primary reading source. Do questions in both. Nov- CFA book 2 (FSA)- get qbank also and hammer FSA and review quant/econ on qbank (looks like only 75 pgs/week or so, but i’m sure qbank will keep me busy plus FSA is hard) Dec- CFA book 3 (corp finance)- 75 pgs/week Jan- CFA book 4 (asset val/equity)- this looks like a lot of text- is it hard or just a lot of reading? looks like about 125 pgs/week. keep plugging at qbank Feb- book 5 March- book 6 This would leave me April and May for review, practice tests, etc. That’s a rough plan. If anyone has taken the test and suggests leaving extra time in some area, feel free to tell me. Thx!

Hi, I am starting to study for Level 2 as well. But I think alot of emphasis should be put on FSA and debt. FSA I believe has like 108 questions if I remember correctly. I skimmed through corporate finance, and most of the stuff appears to be the exact same as the corporate finance from Level 1. Except at the end they have a section on mergers and acquistions. But one thing I do not like is how little optional reading material there are. Pretty much all the stuff you have to read and there are no diagrams! I love the diagrams and pretty pictures! and the long vertical line on the page. Oh well. I guess I will have to deal.

my game plan is a little different. I’m going to do one “quick” read through and finish by January. Then, i’ll get the qbank and reassess where i am at. if i feel like i need to read the whole curriculum again, i will go for it. otherwise, i will just work like a mad woman on the more difficult sections (I heard that foreign currency is a beast). i just started reading and thankfully, the quant section doesnt look that bad… a good sign :slight_smile: more time for FSA later on!! oh, and i’m def taking the john harris course.

I’m finding the Level-II FSA to be easier… another week and I’ll be almost done with it.

You’re almost done w/ FSA already Ruhi? You’re a quant genius already NOLA? Ladies, you need to drink more and study less! My tolerance is stellar right now. : ) Good for both of you 2… I’ll motivate soon. Just not quite yet. Oct 1st, it’s on. If John Harris fits my schedule, I might take it this year. I don’t plan to take any live classes, but I do plan to probably buy the schweser $500 and change package that gives qbank, book 6/7, and the study notes.

i was born that way :slight_smile: jk. so far, there isnt anything that we didnt see on L1 (really not that far into it though). coorelation, regression. oldies but goodies. i havent decided if i want to shell out $$ for the whole package, or just get the qbank. flipping the bill myself… so i guess we will see when january rolls around.

banni, long way to go still :slight_smile: 10/01 sounds good to me. You should be fine with your schedule. I’m actually blogging my progress this time :slight_smile: Just helps me in staying motivated and I feel nice writing about what I learned. Heh. I think I’ll just buy the Qbank this time. I’m really liking the Curriculum, even though the Asset Val book’s thickness almost gave me a heart attack. Oh, and book 6 too.

You all are making me nervous already! What the heck are you doing studying?!?

Thank god MWVT9 said what I’ve been thinking…I’m thinking about starting early January and I thought that was fairly industrious of me…

next year is going to be a busy one for me. weddings galore. i really dont want to f this up because i’m trying to plan showers/bachelorette parties etc. this year i was only in 1 wedding and its no fun when you are constantly feeling guilty for not studying. without the timeline looming (yet), its really not that stressful and i like learning this stuff. so why not?

^^ Agree. Next year’s busy for me too. So I want to get familiar with everything.

Impressive. I too had high hopes of starting early. I got through the first 60 pages of FSA and have quit. I keep looking at it and open it, but then one of my roommates hand me a beer and I can’t pass it up. I’m hoping to really get into a consistent schedule around mid October of casually reading the material to get familiar with it. I am also considering whether I should get the full Schweser package or just the Qbank. Checking back on this website definitely gives me motivation.

ruhi22 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m actually blogging my progress this time :slight_smile: > Just helps me in staying motivated and I feel nice > writing about what I learned. Heh. I guess all I need to do is read your blog and I’m in for L3??? Cool… Haven’t started yet myself, can’t really get myself to start. Probably some laid-back reading in October and then start making some serious progress the months after so I have everything seen at least once in March.

I have failed to open the books. Looked at all of them and liked them, but failed to read. I hope come October I will be ready! I wave to be coz my 1.5yr daughter is becoming a handful and i dont know what i will afce when she get to 2.

Mukaranga: At least you have looked at the books, I havnt even registered. Think I will register this week then look at the books in January like skillionaire And for those sitting level two for the first time, try and strike a balance in all the papers. Putting all your effort in FSA, equity and Ethics won’t give you a ticket to level 3. Nailing 70s in the core papers surely didn’t earn me a pass so balance is the trick.

I’m gonna do exactly what I did for L1 - that is start out 10/1 for 3 or so months extremely heavy going on the CFAI books and GRADUALLY shift my reading to Schweser around Jan and around Feb START doing a lot on the QBANK and from April 1st START on the EXAMS and do 8-9 of them.

Danteshek, not to be facetious, but don’t you think going over the CFAI books now for the next 3 months and switching to Schweser defeats the idea of going into the exam with fresh material from the texts. Don’t you think going over the CFAI texts again vs. Schweser a better strategy? I’m starting to believe that whatever source you choose, CFAI vs. Schweser vs. Stalla, stick with one and know it inside out, repeatedly going over it until all the details are clear. Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m strategizing at the moment for the coming year.

mcpass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ruhi22 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m actually blogging my progress this time :slight_smile: > > Just helps me in staying motivated and I feel > nice > > writing about what I learned. Heh. > > I guess all I need to do is read your blog and I’m > in for L3??? Cool… > > Haven’t started yet myself, can’t really get > myself to start. Probably some laid-back reading > in October and then start making some serious > progress the months after so I have everything > seen at least once in March. Oh I’m not writing the details of each LOS word to word. It’s more like a general diary with notes on some topics that are challenging.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek, not to be facetious, but don’t you > think going over the CFAI books now for the next 3 > months and switching to Schweser defeats the idea > of going into the exam with fresh material from > the texts. > > Don’t you think going over the CFAI texts again > vs. Schweser a better strategy? > > I’m starting to believe that whatever source you > choose, CFAI vs. Schweser vs. Stalla, stick with > one and know it inside out, repeatedly going over > it until all the details are clear. > > Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m strategizing at the > moment for the coming year. The reason I switch to Schweser later in the year is because that helps be distill in my mind what I’ve already learned. Basically it’s like when I used the run the 400 meters. For the first first 6 months of the year you do heavy lifting and calisthenics (CFAI texts) Then you start to step out on the track and do the hard workouts (800, 600, 400, 300 etc…) for a few months. (combination) Then mid way through the season you are doing more SPEED WORK. Schweser is the speed work. Hope this makes sense. D.