General first date question

No.

Sorry plantir, wouldnt be fair to them.

They’re all easy on the eyes though.

I think TP should practice full disclosure and provide his AF handle to all his girls.

That’s fair to them.

Pics or they don’t exist.

Sorry Bchad, but my curiosity demands the truth!

Drinks or go to Starbucks if she doesn’t drink. This isn’t rocket science, geez.

Comedy clubs are great for first dates.

Though not always when you’re performing.

Bchad, didn’t you say you would post the video of your standup performance in NYC last summer?

bchad. I thought I remembered that you do some stand-up on the side, but wasn’t 100% sure. I would think a couple on their first date sitting right by the stage is great improv material.

Yeah, that’s true. I’m not quite good enough to do improv like that. It’s pretty common that some comic will start like this:

“So are you a couple?”

“Is this your first date?”

“I love couples on first dates… it’s so romantic… mysterious… the possibilities are endless… I can’t remember the last time I was on a good first date…”

“…so, are you going to blow him later?”

“…because that looks like a pretty expensive beer he bought you.”

“…oh wait, you bought the beer??”

“…he must go down really well if you’re willing to pay for that beer yourself???”

“…or do you just think you’re going to need something really really strong before you do it??”

Female comics actualy do this more than male comics, though… they can get away with it better. Particularly if they look all cute and corporatey as they start.

It usually gets a laugh, but I think it is kind of tired material. Also, although i like a dirty joke as much as the next guy… my persona tends to be a little cleaner, at least in the beginning… because when I pull out the blue stuff, I want it to make it contrast with everything else I’ve done up to that point. The sort of “WTF, did he just say that?? Weren’t we just talking about Julius Ceasar and the catapult engineering problem in 48 BC?”

Don’t leave us hanging, bchad. We need the Julius Ceasar joke.

I forget how it goes… something about a boulder jam in the catapult, and the problem with tech support mispronounciating v’s, while failing in their attempt to be Roman by asking about last night’s slaughterfest in the Colloseum, when clearly the games were held in the Circus Maximus… …the Colloseum not even having been started until the Emperor Vespasian.

Looking back at that, I do love using the ablative absolute. [OK that one was totally geeky]

The joke told, AF’ers laughed.

You should upload the routine to YouTube or something. We non-New York people are missing out.

Clearly. A jammed catapult? Where does he come up with this stuff??? LOL

This statment being read, AF clearly needs a thumbs-up button. :wink:

Don’t pat yourself on the back too much. Not everyone remembers Latin. I wouldn’t remember, even if I knew what salve meant.

Yea I’ve been a big advocate of a thumbs up or down button.

I wasn’t trying to pat myself on the back there. I just enjoyed the fact that someone got it, when I really wasn’t expecting anyone to. Who takes latin anymore? I thought higgmond deserved a thumbs up for that.

In general, I try to write jokes that can be appreciated on multiple levels. You don’t need to know what the ablative absolute is to enjoy the joke, it just makes it a little bit better if you do.

But writing stuff that way is really hard to do. Tango is way easier (which is why I do less comedy these days and more tango). But if you can do it, it also means your simple dumb and crass jokes have that much power when you throw them out.

I was surprised when I performed that when I actually slipped in something about how Roman cell plans required Romans to call using the vocative case, a bunch of people laughed. I really didn’t expect it; I said it just for my own fun. Yay for New York audiences.

A comedy buddy of mine said that this Larry David piece reminded him of my kind of stuff:

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6D2LujzkaI&feature=related]