Generic question: How do you motivate yourself?

cfafrank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > banging my boss. You and equity_research_nds should get together and talk.

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfafrank Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > banging my boss. > > You and equity_research_nds should get together > and talk. I have to admit that I was inspired by him.

I’m with maritakus, hooya, the army example does not fit correctly. Because the running is a prerequisite and not a core aspect, where as the CFA is what being in banking is all about. We all find small portions boring, but if on average you struggle wtih motivation or find the material boring, I would have to say CFA and banking may not be your calling. Not to rip on anyone, we all have different interests, but I think people should find what they love and do that. If you’re good at whatever you do, and innovative, the money will always be there regardless of the field. But investment finance is a fairly unforgiving field regarding underperformers and those who think of what they do as just a way to pay the rent. When I started out in college, I was a comp. sci. major and played some guitar on the side. Frequently people who I looked up to in both fields of interest would say the same thing to me, essentially: “You just got to love it, if practice feels like work to you, you just won’t be able to hang with those of us who love what we do.” I can honestly say that I never understood that until I got into investment finance and I would encourage others to look for the same thing in their careers. In my experience, alot of people try to force themselves to like finance because of the dollars only to either regret the career choice, or get forced out because in the long run you have to love what you’re doing to be successful.

Every time you get bored while reading the material drop down and do 50 push ups. After about 400 of those you’ll really stay focused on the material.

Back in line soldier