Generic question: How do you motivate yourself?

I always try to make more time to study. But when I have several hours to study. I always feel boring after one hour. It is better when I am doing the questions. However, at this stage, I still need to go through a whole LOS in order to fully understand a topic I am not familiar with. I know this is the hurdle I must jump over. Buy do you have a good way to handle this?

Some use speed, crack, heroin. I stick with caffeine. Rip It Energy Drinks

if studying is boring, maybe CFA is not for you

the thought of passing the first time and not being in this situation again in 2009 is motivation enough for me.

Take notes. When I take notes I feel like I have to complete my notes before tossing the material aside and throwing back a few beers. It keeps me focused. Even though it takes longer to go through the material, I would not be able to just sit and read and be focused for any length of time. Oh, and go back in the forum to August 2007 and read some of the threads of people that failed LII and were well prepared. I do not want that to be me…so that means I need to prepare more.

i don’t want to be a high end call girl for the rest of my life. it’s either the cfa or music and music hasn’t been working out for me.

“if studying is boring, maybe CFA is not for you” wow maratikusie wow I want to join the army and one of the prerequisites is that you need to be able to run five miles in 20mins. I will train myself to run, it dose not mean that I enjoy running. I would like to stress that its actully very booooring. I just want to join the army and kill lots of people.

The fear of failing!!! and it especially helps if the material ties in well with your work… if so, studying is not really that boring, because you can draw practical references to the material.

How much I’ve spent for registration, study materials, hotels, train tickets so far, and how much I’d have to spend if and when I fail. It’s not working so well at the moment though…

HooYaa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “if studying is boring, maybe CFA is not for you” > > wow maratikusie wow > > I want to join the army and one of the > prerequisites is that you need to be able to run > five miles in 20mins. I will train myself to run, > it dose not mean that I enjoy running. I would > like to stress that its actully very booooring. I > just want to join the army and kill lots of > people. Firstly, HooYaa, thanks for showing your “wow”. Secondly, 20mins for five miles? are you serious? I am a leisure runner. You are talking about 2.5mins/km. If you can run 10km in 25mins, you can win any 10km race in the world.

I don’t think the fastest person in the world can run 5 miles in 20 minutes.

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Take notes. > > When I take notes I feel like I have to complete > my notes before tossing the material aside and > throwing back a few beers. It keeps me focused. > > Even though it takes longer to go through the > material, I would not be able to just sit and read > and be focused for any length of time. > > Oh, and go back in the forum to August 2007 and > read some of the threads of people that failed LII > and were well prepared. I do not want that to be > me…so that means I need to prepare more. Good. I’ll take that.

Yeah, I know Olympic runners can do sub-4min miles, which I think used to be the hurdle, but that has since fallen. But I don’t think you can maintain that…that’s INSANELY fast. I know for pre-season soccer in college, we used to have run 2 miles in 12mins and that was pretty much an all-out sprint. DId I mention that IT SUCKED, especially down by the lake in humid as f*ck August in Chicago.

Thanks for tearing my hypothetical example apart. By the way, did you get the “kill lots of people” which can be substituted for “make a killing” bit. See what too much studying dose to you – kills you sense of humour :slight_smile:

While money isn’t everything, the CFA Salary survey is quite motivating on its own. http://www.cfainstitute.org/memresources/career/pdf/survey/summary_2007.pdf Enjoy.

HooYaa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “if studying is boring, maybe CFA is not for you” > > wow maratikusie wow I don’t see why i would want to learn something that I don’t enjoy. There is a good chance you will have to do some of those boring things when you get your charter.

I go to a library where there are a bunch of old people and weird art on the walls. There is this one desk right in front of a picture with a fat naked lady covering her lower goods. Its disgusting. However, it makes me keep my head down. This is no joke. I’ll take a picture and post in under google pics or something.

I dunno, I had to take a break and now I’m motivating myself again. I took off 2 days next week to try and catch up (conjoined with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Hopefully that will get me back into the swing of things. I guess my initial motivation came from not wanting to fail anything. At this point, I’m suffering a little from mental fatigue (burnout, I suppose…) but honestly, I’m trying to fight through it.

Niblita75 , Your motivation post was the funniest thing I’ve read/heard all day. I’ve got to find me a study location that provides that kind of motivation!

banging my boss.