Getting new investment ideas

I’m feeling a little low on investment ideas these days and was just wondering where you guys go to come up with insights. There are actually two parts to this: 1) Sources of ideas, which might be news sources, or activities/discussions that get your mind working, etc… 2) Once you have an idea, how do you deal with “maybe the market has already priced this in.” Some company-specific ideas maybe can be done with scenario analysis and an excel spreadsheet, but there are lots of trend ideas that are not so amenable to that. Just nervous that I’m empty on ideas right now and maybe I’ll never have another one. :wink:

my idea is to sell volatility & long tech. I’m selling the SPY Nov straddle @ 115 for $12.60 and buying QQQQ Nov 40 calls $1.30.

right now if you simply provide liquidity, you can buy about anything “cheaply”, as 90% of the market seems to be selling.

I heard water is the next big investment theme to ride up until all the mo-mo trendwatchers jump on. PHO is the ishare.

I throw darts.

I agree about liquidity but the liquidity situation has been going from bad to worse to worser still. There are some pfd stocks and junk bond funds that look good to me, tho’, but I’m too distracted by all the macro noise to dig into them. I hope I get a little peace this weekend.

I think for long term time horizons, liquidity opportunities are there. And yeah, I have been thinking about that. But I guess I didn’t think of that as a complete idea because I feel like an idea needs to have an entry and exit criterion. I agree with virgin about water, and have been wondering how best to implement. PHO is funny! Somone must like Vietnamese soup.

52 week low list then build out triangulations, with 60 weightng to what my DCF says. add that to my contacts IMing me on the 2 way and boom, get liquid. looking @ health care right now, heavy on IT side + some biotechs my leerink guy has a hard on for.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 52 week low list then build out triangulations, > with 60 weightng to what my DCF says. add that to > my contacts IMing me on the 2 way and boom, get > liquid. looking @ health care right now, heavy on > IT side + some biotechs my leerink guy has a hard > on for. you and ramsherrs should work together. he knows everything and you know everyone.

farney Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > you know everyone. yeah right.

farney = farley??? farney seems like a nerdier, more placated version of farley. did farley hit some valium?

Are you guys managing other peoples money or just yours?

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > farney = farley??? > > farney seems like a nerdier, more placated > version of farley. did farley hit some valium? nope also not nerdy, especially compared to some on this board miss farley tons