Gifts from clients

Just to confirm: If a client offers you a gift for past performance, it needs to be disclosed. If the client offers a gift for future performance, you need written consent from the employer?

I don’t think you can accept it at all for future performance, even with consent…it might make you bias towards other clients

I think you can, but you must get consent.

but just because employer gives you consent, you may still be biased and commit favorism. I thought I saw a question on one of the sample/schweser exam like that

YOU CAN ACCEPT GIFTS FORM CLIENT WITH PERMISSION. YOU CANT ACCEPT ANYTHING FORM ISSUERS. PERIOD!

You can accept gifts with consent from your employer. The idea is that you already have a compensation agreement set up between you and the client, so it’s less likely to be a conflict of interest as opposed to accepting gifts from, say, an issuer.

If, for example, a client says “I’ll give you a week long vacation in my Aruban condo if you hit above 15% next year”, you will not be in violation if you get written consent from your employer.

since the gift from the client is for performance, it’s looked at more like additional compensation, than a gift… need your employer’s consent…

agreed with above, need consent to accept future performance.

ozzy609 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If, for example, a client says “I’ll give you a > week long vacation in my Aruban condo if you hit > above 15% next year”, you will not be in violation > if you get written consent from your employer. not a violation of additional compensation or disclosure of conflicts violation of independence and objectivity

Slash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ozzy609 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If, for example, a client says “I’ll give you a > > week long vacation in my Aruban condo if you > hit > > above 15% next year”, you will not be in > violation > > if you get written consent from your employer. > > not a violation of additional compensation or > disclosure of conflicts > > violation of independence and objectivity According to Schweser (Exam 1PM, book 6), you can accept it with written consent.

i’m sure i saw it in a schweser q-bank question. if it’s contingent on future performance, it causes the fiduciary to be more inclined to help out that client