GIPS - Schweser of CFAI text?

I found the GIPS material in the schweser to be better than CFAI text. It was orderly mentioned in the schweser. Although, the after-tax return calculation part was missing in the schweser. There was no LOS on it either. But it was covered in CFAI text. Should we study it?

I found schweser to be much better, but again i did poorly on GIPS question in CFAI 2006 exams. It was just brutal :-/

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I found schweser to be much better, but again i > did poorly on GIPS question in CFAI 2006 exams. It > was just brutal :-/ wat abt the after tax return calcs?

I’m definitely leaving GIPS/Ethics for a few days before the exam so that all that memorization is fresh in my head. I can’t imagine more than a 3-4 mark question here or there on GIPS.

If the LOS says no calculations, then I’m not worrying about how to calculate it - just understand based on what the LOS says.

what after-tax return calculation ? in fact i was wondering about taxes bec schweser doesn’t mention anything except a line about witholding taxes… which CFAI page number is this ? i did schweser. then the question bank and the CFAI problems… and now i kind of like GIPS :slight_smile:

GIPS is actually not too bad at all. What’s bad is the day count conventions on derivatives. No order to it at all!!!

bips Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what after-tax return calculation ? in fact i > was wondering about taxes bec schweser doesn’t > mention anything except a line about witholding > taxes… which CFAI page number is this ? > > i did schweser. then the question bank and the > CFAI problems… and now i kind of like GIPS :slight_smile: In the CFAI text, after the advertising guidelines are over, there is a section titled Other Issues, which discusses After tax return calcs? I’m talking about that. Its in pages 336 - 342 in CFA1 text in Book 6. I’m just worried about that because, last year in L2, Treynor-Black also was towards the last part of the CFAI texts. So, I’m hoping this after tax calcs doesn’t become the TB of this year.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > GIPS is actually not too bad at all. What’s bad is > the day count conventions on derivatives. No order > to it at all!!! I never read any day-count conventions on derivatives in Schweser. Where exactly is it?

CFA_Halifax, on day-count convention: Are you referring to using 360d convention to calculate payment, but 365d to calculate EAR?