GMAT Excellence?

You need to know only basic math for GMAT. Even if you have not performed math exercises in a long while, it should come back to you with some practice. With that being said, some of those questions are designed to trick you and will confuse you under time pressure. It is also frustrating that you must rely on long division or other primitive methods to estimate various numbers. People nowadays are surrounded by multiple computers and are trained specifically to not have to rely on backwards hand calculations. I blame this as the factor that prevented me from achieving a perfect score.

ordered the $1K Manhattan prep course today.

was on kahn academy yesterday looking at stuff and noticed their math module. it has everything from basic math to differential equations.

i actually signed up for some review, just need to find time now

Gmat Quantum for Quant - you don’t need anything else for quant

www.gmatquantum.com/​​​​​​​

Crirical Reasoning Bible for CR

E-gmat course for verbal

Used manhattan gmat books but found them useless

are you thinking of applying this cycle

thanks brosef - what kind of score did you get

no. i was looking for something unrelated to the GMAT

holy long division, batman! #amirite6?

Did you guys purposely step up your reading in general of side materials (books, economist, US weekly) to increase verbal

Interesting, but very helpful and good to know. I was actually really good at long division…when I was 10…haha. that’s kind of ridiculous. Perhaps the logic is, since we have computers, they want to see how much of a computer the people taking the exam can be : /

In any event, I won’t be undertaking GMAT and the B-School provided I can get this CFA charter knocked out. I just am not sure that my GPA, (3.94) from a state school, decent but not amazing work experience (Analyst in Alts for a good size financial services firm) will be enough combined with a plus 700 GMAT to get in to top 20/Top 10 program.

My only unique quality is that I used to be in a rock band, play 5 instruments, and licensed songs to MTV at the age of 18 (also a registered songwriter with BMI music publishing).

^That should be more than fine. Just apply to 4-5 schools.

Should 700 be a minimum number I should shoot for? Also, do they look at High School transcripts or SAT/ACT? I think I got like a 30 on the ACT and never took the SAT.

They don’t care about High School or SAT/ACT. Just college and GMAT.

i still dont understand why programs care about college gpa if you have been out for 6-8 years and are making it rain

MBA programs don’t really. They mostly care it’s at least above some minimum threshold so their averages don’t go down. Prestige bruh!!! I’ve seen folks with 3.1 get into M7 schools.

haha makes sense the way you put it.

btw does it matter if your in-major gpa is higher than overall gpa?

asking for a friend

go to gmatclub.com…they have real adcom on the forum…

Probably doesn’t matter as much. As stated above, a big part of admissions is gaming the reported score range.

For an M7, you should at least have a GPA of 3.4-3.5. With that, having your major GPA above your general is actually better, assuming you took on a generally harder major (i.e. not basket weaving or flower arrangements).

Well, I did transfer from a community college to the state school I was referring to. At the community college level, my cumulative GPA was 2.9 before I got into the Econ program at the state school I went to. In fact, they were so hesitant about my 2.9 cumulative GPA from community college, that I was on academic probation the very first semester until I then went on to make straight solid As over the minimum 60 credit hours needed to graduate with the exception of one B+ (Applied Econ/Finance). So technically my total cumulative GPA over my entire college career is more like 3.48 or so.

Do MBA programs look at something called “grade trend” as in “what have you done lately” and consider that? or not really?