GMAT perseverence paid off!

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > willispierre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Does anyone really care if you get a 680 or a > 710? > > Seems like a lot of work and money for a 30 > point > > improvement. If the rest of your application > is > > solid, this should really have no impact in > > getting into top schools. > > I come from a state school. so I really needed > something to validate my intellectual ability. > ALso, the 30 pt difference is pretty small, but > crossing the 700 plataue is significant. Top > schools are really shooting for that 700+ class > average. the difference between 680 and 710 is > the difference between above and below average. > Plus, many top employers are looking for a 700 > GMAT. > > But to tell the truth, I did this for me. The > above paragraph is how I rationalized my efforts. > I took it 4 times because I’m hyper competitive > and I wanted a 700. I needed something to do > after i took LIII. If it wasn’t the GMAT, it > would have been competitive eating. I think I > made the right choice. By the way what was your quant score? I always wanted to see whether there was any correlation between GMAT quant and someone’s ability to pass the CFA exams. @ Also, do you think that the GMAT Verbal score shows anything in regards to whether one can pass the CFA or not? I can’t see how correcting grammatical mistakes has anything to do with passing the CFA although I could see how CR (logical thinking) could have an effect.

I smoked verbal every time. 97th percentile twice, also a 93 and 95. My best quant score was a 75. I had to work to get to the 75. Verbal came naturally. So far I’m 2 for 2 on the CFA. I’ll be sweating LIII til the 19th though.

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I took the GMAT for the 4th time and finally > cracked 700. My scores in chronological order > were: 680, 690, 690, 710. The 680 came after > considerable effort. congrats on the 710, but i have one word: overkill. the grouping of your scores pretty clearly indicates that you’re a smart guy…there are no outlier scores here that you’re trying to disprove. so while the 710 might make you feel god about yourself - and there is nothing wrong with that - dont kid yourself into thinking it’ll be the difference maker for a top school. gmat has a surprisingly low weighting in the process. > I actually begin a fairly reputable 1 year MSF > program next week. My intention is to gain a few > years of solid experience and apply to Columbia > and WHarton and some other major programs when I > have sufficient experience. you lost me here. you’re about to start a masters program, and you have no work experience, yet you just took the gmat 4 times??? how about one step at a time? trust me, the work experience will count for 25x the gmat score and MSF.

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ALL. ¿how bad is to take the gmat for third time? I Am taking it for third time. I am from southamerica. My score is the following 600 (49M, 24 V) 640 (50M, 27V).

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > farley013 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Are you Asian by any chance (JDV close your > eyes)? > > Irish Catholic (Joe Montana played for the Fightin > Irish after all) > > “Good luck on apps. Where are you applying?” > > I actually begin a fairly reputable 1 year MSF > program next week. My intention is to gain a few > years of solid experience and apply to Columbia > and WHarton and some other major programs when I > have sufficient experience. joemontana, which college are you going?

pierovic18 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ALL. ¿how bad is to take > the gmat for third time? > I Am taking it for third time. I am from > southamerica. My score is the following 600 (49M, > 24 V) 640 (50M, 27V). It’s not relevant. The schools take your highest overall score from one exam. If you take it too many times, they will start to think you are obsessed with the GMAT, which is a negative. Three attempts, however, is not unreasonable.