GMAT perseverence paid off!

I took the GMAT for the 4th time and finally cracked 700. My scores in chronological order were: 680, 690, 690, 710. The 680 came after considerable effort. My tips: MANhatten GMAT and Princeton Review “Math Workout for the GMAT” for tutorials. If you are particularly strong in Math, then they may be a waste, but they were beneficial for me I did the entire offIcial guide twice. I also did the OG Verbal and quant books. Big key: Do the sample tests from mba.com REPEATEDLY. The main difference between the 680 and 710 was time management - not knowledge. Those tests are the best way to hone time management skills. Skip classes. I took a class, and didn’t gain anything

Don’t they send all your scores to the schools you apply to?

Yes. All scores from past 5 years.

In high school I got a 760 on the SAT math section and like the arrogant @sshole that I was I took it again to see if I could get an 800 and ended up with a 740 the second time round. I had to put both scores on a lot of my college applications which annoyed the h#ll out of me.

Does anyone really care if you get a 680 or a 710? Seems like a lot of work and money for a 30 point improvement. If the rest of your application is solid, this should really have no impact in getting into top schools.

This is a tough group. Good job, Joe. Personally I think Superbowl rings are better than GMAT scores, but whatever gets you through the days now is fine with me.

Nice job dude. I am being humbled by that test on a regular basis.

willispierre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does anyone really care if you get a 680 or a 710? > Seems like a lot of work and money for a 30 point > improvement. If the rest of your application is > solid, this should really have no impact in > getting into top schools. I come from a state school. so I really needed something to validate my intellectual ability. ALso, the 30 pt difference is pretty small, but crossing the 700 plataue is significant. Top schools are really shooting for that 700+ class average. the difference between 680 and 710 is the difference between above and below average. Plus, many top employers are looking for a 700 GMAT. But to tell the truth, I did this for me. The above paragraph is how I rationalized my efforts. I took it 4 times because I’m hyper competitive and I wanted a 700. I needed something to do after i took LIII. If it wasn’t the GMAT, it would have been competitive eating. I think I made the right choice.

Are you Asian by any chance (JDV close your eyes)?

joemontana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > willispierre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Does anyone really care if you get a 680 or a > 710? > > Seems like a lot of work and money for a 30 > point > > improvement. If the rest of your application > is > > solid, this should really have no impact in > > getting into top schools. > > I come from a state school. so I really needed > something to validate my intellectual ability. > ALso, the 30 pt difference is pretty small, but > crossing the 700 plataue is significant. Top > schools are really shooting for that 700+ class > average. the difference between 680 and 710 is > the difference between above and below average. > Plus, many top employers are looking for a 700 > GMAT. > > But to tell the truth, I did this for me. The > above paragraph is how I rationalized my efforts. > I took it 4 times because I’m hyper competitive > and I wanted a 700. I needed something to do > after i took LIII. If it wasn’t the GMAT, it > would have been competitive eating. I think I > made the right choice. Dude cracking 700 is a pretty big deal, same deal on the LSAT cracking 170 is a big deal… but now a days I feel like my 171 is a mile away from that golden 172. Again congrats!

About how much preparation time did you utilize?

Nice job, joe. You’re absolutely right when you note the difference between a 690 and 710. I doubt the spread shows much difference in horsepower, but there is a psychological bias in the admissions process against someone who has a six handle on their score, even if it is a 690. If it takes you 4 times, who cares? You got there. I definitely agree on time management – I had the same experience. Good luck on apps. Where are you applying?

Congratulations, Joe! Great results!

nice work. worth the effort to accomplish a personal goal. I do think there is a psychological (if not an explicit) barrier with the 700 BTW. You will get a check mark next to the GMAT score with the committee. Don’t be fooled, however, into thinking this will get you into a top school, it simply removes one of several admissions obstacles. Spend the time on the essays, they are read very, very carefully.

very nice!

Agreed that it is worth it to spend the time to get 700+. It’s like benching 295 or 300…it’s only 5 lbs. but it’s a HUGE difference psychologically.

Congrats on breaking the barrier: 700 is indeed a mental barrier for applicants as well as panelist…

Grats man 710 is a great score.

mental/personal achievement I will give you. I went to Chicago and know a bunch of people who helped review applications. All I am saying is that if you have a solid background/overall application (work experience, undergrad, essays, recommendations), they aren’t going to care if you have a 680 or 710. If you are a little weak in one of those areas, then it may help you slightly. I know someone who got in with a 620, but he started his own business and was a superstar in other respects. 710 is a great score–I’m not trying to downplay that. Its actually the same score that I got:) Congrats!

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you Asian by any chance (JDV close your eyes)? Irish Catholic (Joe Montana played for the Fightin Irish after all) “Good luck on apps. Where are you applying?” I actually begin a fairly reputable 1 year MSF program next week. My intention is to gain a few years of solid experience and apply to Columbia and WHarton and some other major programs when I have sufficient experience.