I HOPE to pass the Level I test in Dec and sit Level II in June - but I don’t think I’m guaranteed to pass (maybe 50/50 or a bit better). I’d like to start studying for L2 right after the Dec test, but I’m hesitant to buy the materials for L2 since there’s a chance I’ll end up taking L1 again in June and any L2 materials I bought now would be out-of-date by June 2009. So, I wonder, (1) Does anyone know how long it will take to know the Dec test results, and (2) Does anyone in a similar situation have a good approach to suggest? Thanks
I was graded right away, that’s because I finished early.
Are you saying you knew your results to L1 at the test site on test day, really? Anyone have a similar or different experience to share?
Yeah another way Dinesh forgot to mention for early turnaround on your level 1 result, is if you take the option of bringing a formula sheet into the exam with you, in which case you get special treatment by the proctor who then contacts CFAI within 24 hours for a ruling on your exam score.
Seriously though, does anyone know the results turnaround time? It would seem to me that losing a month of study time (waiting for results and then book delivery) could be the kiss of death for June L2.
you will be waiting around a month for the results.
A month - I see, thanks. Well, I guess I could (a) try to use various sources to research the L2 LOS topics (I do have several good textbooks in the office) during the month of Dec while I wait, OR, (b) bite the bullet and order the Schweser L2 notes now on the hopes of passing L1 in Dec. I’m leaning towards option (b) which I guess is safer but it’s a lot of cash basically wasted if I can’t sit L2 in June. Any final thoughts are welcome…
If you manage to score 85% using the 40/60/80 calculator (http://cfasuccess.com/web/calculator/default.aspx ), when they grade you on the exam day, then you can claim back your refund of the money charged for the CFAI curriculum notes while registering for L2. But this is different for different centers, I am specifically talking about Javits center.
Hmmm. Well, I didn’t know about that but I’m pretty sure my score won’t qualify me for any prizes. And I’m more concerned about paying our good S sponsers $900plus (full set) TWICE for L2.
Guys where are you taking these nonsenses from? Stop writing such things about grading and bringing formula sheet…somebody might believe in them;).
txcany, stop listening to all that nonsense that some of the above posters have posted. The Dec results come out mid Jan. From my experience on taking Level 1 last year and from the many posts people posted in preparation for the exams, you should be practicing the exams in Book 6 under exam conditions - you should be aiming for 75%-80% on those.
txcany, we discussed your question in the LII forum a few months ago. FYI you’ll be waiting about 6 weeks for your LI results (mid-to-late January). Search the LII forum for this thread and hopefully it will shed some light on the items to take into consideration when attempting a Dec LI to June LII. Cheers.
txcany, we were just kidding and I know you know that already since you took everything in the right spirit. anyways, the Dec-07 exam results would be out by around 15th Jan+ (i.e 45 days minimum), last year’s results were out on 17th Jan. So it would be safe to consider that you would be having around 45 to 50 days in hand before you register for the CFAI-L2 exam. The best approach for maximum utilizing these 45 days would be to take a Christmas break for 1-month and then re-read the Ethics Standards of Practice Hanbook and brush up on some of the L1 material you found dicy, so that you are all set for L2, once you have the results in hand. There’s certainly no use in buying the books before hand until unless you are 100% sure of your success. Wish you all the very best for the exam!! - Dinesh S
Dinesh, that’s great advice and i will definitely follow it! Need a month to allow my brain to un-freeze as it were…intend on doing a lot of skiing to get sane for the June push (whether its LII or a retake.)
petetini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh, that’s great advice and i will definitely > follow it! Need a month to allow my brain to > un-freeze as it were…intend on doing a lot of > skiing to get sane for the June push (whether its > LII or a retake.) I bet we need an un-freezing freezing-ice-skiiing session atleast for an month, if not more… - Dinesh S
I was in the same boat as you last year. I took L1 last December and wanted to get started on L2 right away, but didn’t want to take the chance on buying the books. I ended up waiting until results came out in mid-Jan and then ordered the books and paid for the express shipping. I ended up having plenty of time for L2 studies. My advice is to focus on L1 now, take a well-needed and well-deserved break from studying in December and early Jan to re-charge your batteries, and then hit the books hard after you get your results.
txcany Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I HOPE to pass the Level I test in Dec and sit > Level II in June - but I don’t think I’m > guaranteed to pass (maybe 50/50 or a bit better). > I’d like to start studying for L2 right after the > Dec test, but I’m hesitant to buy the materials > for L2 since there’s a chance I’ll end up taking > L1 again in June and any L2 materials I bought now > would be out-of-date by June 2009. So, I wonder, > (1) Does anyone know how long it will take to know > the Dec test results, and (2) Does anyone in a > similar situation have a good approach to suggest? > Thanks If you did well enough on L1, where it’s very much a stright forward type question test, you’ll know whether or not to start on L2.
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to wait to buy the full set of L2 materials until I get the pass letter, but find stuff to study in the meantime like L1 review and other L2 topics from textbooks I have access to at the office. And you’re right it should be purely L1 focus for now. Back to studies…