Goldman: Financial Analyst Program - any pointers/views?

Folks - i’m looking to apply for Golman Sachs’ Financial Analyst program - specifically, Sales & Trading. was wondering whether anyone of us here has worked at Goldman before / or is currently with them? I have read through the entire website and relevant guides on GS and stuff… but was hoping to speak with someone on the inside - to get a true sense of what the culture is really like and what traits they really look for. more importantly, i’m quite concerned about just dropping my app online and then following through with HR (as is the norm). I’m afraid my app will just be lost amongst the remaining millions that they receive! However, I don’t know anyone in the local (singapore, hong kong, mumbai) GS offices…so was wondering if there was any way I could avert the ‘toss in the bin’ fate of my app? any thoughts / advice ?

sandeepsg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Folks - i’m looking to apply for Golman Sachs’ > Financial Analyst program - specifically, Sales & > Trading. > > was wondering whether anyone of us here has worked > at Goldman before / or is currently with them? > > I have read through the entire website and > relevant guides on GS and stuff… but was hoping > to speak with someone on the inside - to get a > true sense of what the culture is really like and > what traits they really look for. > > more importantly, i’m quite concerned about just > dropping my app online and then following through > with HR (as is the norm). I’m afraid my app will > just be lost amongst the remaining millions that > they receive! However, I don’t know anyone in the > local (singapore, hong kong, mumbai) GS > offices…so was wondering if there was any way I > could avert the ‘toss in the bin’ fate of my app? > > > any thoughts / advice ? to address your first point: my friends at GS say that culture/life there is more work-less play relative to comparable banks. i have personally worked with GS (and other investment banks) before and i find that to be pretty true. good luck with your app!

thanks, princess! :slight_smile: is there any specific traits they look for - that i must highlight in my app?

sandeepsg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks, princess! :slight_smile: > > is there any specific traits they look for - that > i must highlight in my app? from what i know and heard, GS places a high premium on academics e.g. high gpa/cap, ivy league, top in class, etc. u catch the drift. this might not be an accurate picture, as i’m sure u will appreciate that hiring policies (and people!) do change from time to time.

Wear nice cloths, get a manicure, and make sure your hair is neat. Goldman had a floor in my previous building. I could always tell a Goldman guy or girl waiting at the elevator by their look. They were always physically perfect.

When hiring at GS I’d say 5-10% of the resumes I saw had come through ‘traditional’ HR channels – just lobbed in. I was somewhat amazed that whatever process they had in place would get the correct resumes to me out of the thousands I’m sure they must receive. So don’t discount that channel. That said, the greatest number of qualified candidates came in through headhunters. After that were the personal referrals or internals.

JWS Wrote: I could always tell a Goldman > guy or girl waiting at the elevator by their look. > They were always physically perfect. Very true…I know someone at the firm- think Patrick Bateman.

thanks a lot for the pointers guys…! i’m definitely gonna pass my app in through HR, but will keep looking for inside links, since that seems to be a popular channel - and I believe, a more effective one! n oh yes - i got the ‘physically perfect’ part from someone else as well… guess i’ll just have to go for a makeover! :wink: