Goldman junior analysts' slide deck

They don’t make them like they used to, amirite?!

“A group of first-year investment banking analysts at Goldman Sachs presented management with a slide deck describing arduous working conditions last month, shining a rare spotlight on the stresses faced by young people working in investment banking. Based on a survey of 13 analysts, the slide deck reported an average work week of 95 hours, with five hours of sleep a night starting at 3am. The respondents said the long hours were taking a toll on their physical and mental health, with three-quarters reporting that they felt they had been “victims of workplace abuse”.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-03-18/goldman-analysts-work-too-hard

To be honest, if someone asked me to work 95 hour weeks on the reg, especially in a field such as finance, I’d probably laugh and show myself out.

2 Likes

In my opinion, investment banking is given too much appeal by people working in finance. It’s the kind of job where if you care more about the appearance of success and the idea of working in high finance, you are drawn to it because nobody talks about anything else, especially at the undergrad level where overachieving 21-year old soon-to-be grads with finance majors like to strut around campus as if they already understand everything about how the industry works. I have never understood why people are drawn to this.

helps pull cuz ur a guaranteed provider. my first cover letter said i was willing to work 100 hours. my first job normal hours were 45. but sometimes id be doing 60 hrs. nowadays im closer to 35 to 40 hrs.

Plenty of people work like that without the potential to make +1mil in 5 years. They can leave – plenty of people who would take the job.

I went through the deck pretty hilarious. Anyone know what CS work is?

Counter surveillance?

Chicken s . . . omething?

1 Like