Good Books for VBA / Excel

Hey everybody, Just wondering if anyone knows a good book to start diving into using VBA with Excel. I’m very comfortable with Excel (Pivot tables, lookups etc…) but have little to no training in VBA. I know it would be helpfull to shore up my skills. Thanks.

Get the one from John Walkenbach (it’s a monster 800 page book). It helped me a lot when I was trying to learn this stuff. Covers everything from basic pivot table manipulations and arrays to custom vba functions.

Get the one from John Walkenbach (it’s a monster 800 page book). It helped me a lot when I was trying to learn this stuff. Covers everything from basic pivot table manipulations and arrays to custom vba functions.

Thanks x4.

why bother with VBA? It’s not even being developed currently, so it’s likely to die off in the not so distant future. I’d say learning .NET will probably pay bigger dividends in the long run.

yeah sure. it’s likely to die off when microsoft dies off.

wow…I must have been pretty eager to offer that advice…swear I pressed it just once…

if you just want to learn excel/VBA, there is really no need to get any books, just use google as a matter of fact, to learn technologies these days, google is your best resource. Tech is such a fast changing field, there’s a very chance whatever was written in the book will be somewhat outdated by the time it hits the shelf. Also, there are tons and tons of forums for you to ask questions, much like this forum, it’s interactive, people give direct answers to your questions, so you don’t have to search through your reference. I just think google is much more effective than a reference book…

Anybody read / use Simon Beninga’s “Financial Modeling with Excel”? It seems like he has some pretty good (although maybe basic) examples of modeling various concepts and then implementing them with VBA as well. Just curious if anyone else has an opinion.

I agree that you can find content on the internet that is good for picking up most technology these days, but I do think that there is something to be said for a book that you can flip through and hold on your shelf as a reference for when you need it… it’s a little tiring on the eyes to get everything you know off of a computer screen, with incessant scrolling.

ole boy - I just bought that book today on ebay, should be getting it by middle next week… will give my opinion when i get it. i am also interested in VBA, i will be taking a VBA class at my local community college just to learn the basics + plus whatever Simon’s book covers.

nolabird032 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yeah sure. it’s likely to die off when microsoft > dies off. not necessarily. That’s why I mentioned .NET as it’s developed by MS as well. edit: and unlike VBA it’s currently being developed

You need to download 2-3, plug-ins. Also put in special code, to just make Excel – .NET work together. Futhermore, you have to create objects and use more complicated programming theory. Example: “ws = (Excel.Worksheet)ThisApplication.ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet;” vs “ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet” Saying to someone to learn .NET who has no programming background is a nice idea, but it is also somewhat unrealistic. Ofcourse unless you want to use external data from an outside source, than learning .NET is fully worth it.