Good-bye and farewell

So, I’ve decided to take my company up on the option of moving into commercial real estate appraisal, my dream job back during my freshman and sophomore years in college (I actually have my appraisal training license in my state). If you think finance is tough to break into, just try to find an apprenticeship in real estate appraisal, let alone commercial real estate. So, I’ve kind of lucked into this position and will begin a 5-year training program in about 2 months time. Finance is an awesome career path, but I just don’t think it’s for me. The math behind risk arbitrage, pricing bond deals, alpha, efficient portfolios, stock picking, etc. just doesn’t turn me on (nor am I good at it). And the obscene hours worked and the time sitting behind a desk. Wearing expensive clothes. The big city. None of it is me. These are great things for the right people–I’m just not the right person for it (I have neither the brains, the concentration ability nor the class). So it’s not to say that I won’t post here anymore, but I don’t expect to post much more. I haven’t yet decided if I will stick with Level 2 preparation (already bought the dang stuff). But I definitely appreciate all the advice and help and I’m grateful to many of you all here. And, of course, I’ll sneak a read here and there. Thank you all and good luck. Just one generation of AF cycling out for another.

Can you say undecided after all those threads ? : ) Good luck

Best of luck. You are correct, finance is not for everyone. It is a good thing you figured it out now and not 5 years from now.

Sounds like you finally got you wanted. Congrats! Whatever made you interested in Finance though to begin with? Was it your Dad’s background?

congrats kkent, you always inspired me because we are basically at the same level. Being noobs to this whole career thing.

good riddance.

Real classy, MFE. Glad to see you graduated from 6th grade.

ade, accounting was his background. No idea what inspired me except the desire to get bad grades.

I seriously doubt you are going to stay away… On another note, my firm shut down access to AF…

LOL. But the cat came back the very next day, he just couldn’t stay away. I don’t know, man–we’ll see. I find a lot of these topics pretty interesting, but I’m busy as hell so we’ll see. Tough luck on AF, dante. Now it’s time to do some real work!

good luck and take care

Best of luck to you kkent.

Are you willing to say what firm? I work with appraisers regularly…

My dream job is PGA tour professional… How does one go about dreaming about a career in “commercial real estate appraisal”…did the dreams start at a young age?

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My dream job is PGA tour professional… > > How does one go about dreaming about a career in > “commercial real estate appraisal”…did the > dreams start at a young age? hahaha… thats hilarious. what a dreamer… :slight_smile:

Good luck kkent. Commercial real estate appraisal can be a pretty lucrative career.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Finance is an awesome career path, but I just > don’t think it’s for me. The math behind risk > arbitrage, pricing bond deals, alpha, efficient > portfolios, stock picking, etc. just doesn’t turn > me on (nor am I good at it). And the obscene > hours worked and the time sitting behind a desk. > Wearing expensive clothes. The big city. None of > it is me. These are great things for the right > people–I’m just not the right person for it (I > have neither the brains, the concentration ability > nor the class). > > kk: Best of luck with your choice. If you really do what you like, you never have to work at it.

Congrats and GL

Congrats man, I wish you the best.