GOOD NEWS!

Fellas got some good news… From 2009 on multiple choice questions are gonna have only 3 (three) choices intead of 4 (four). One less distractor, yay!!! Sounds good but, since it is not really gonna affect the overall candidate pool, the competition and pass rates pretty much gonna stay the same… http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy/questions_faq.html

I wouldn’t jump and shout. There will most likey be a few facts above followed by; A. I and III are correct B. I and II are correct C. III is correct Could yield a very tricky exam.

Yes I don’t like being the first experimental group of candidates that this is used on. How is Schweser going to prepare us for the exam? They might miss the mark of the format of the questions.

Well, since one answer is typically completely incorrect, then there are two or three that are close but you have to pick the “most” or “least” correct, then I don’t see how that would really change things. Maybe save a few minutes during the exam from reading 240 BS answers?

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes I don’t like being the first experimental > group of candidates that this is used on. How is > Schweser going to prepare us for the exam? They > might miss the mark of the format of the > questions. Very true. But, what is the alternative? This is why the CFAI practice exams are so important.

I don’t think it will make much of a difference. There is always one answer out of four that is nonsense. My take is that all 3 choices will have some semblance of being the correct choice.

jimmylegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think it will make much of a difference. > There is always one answer out of four that is > nonsense. My take is that all 3 choices will have > some semblance of being the correct choice. True, but from a pure guessing stance you’ll have a 33.33% chance of getting it correct instead of the 25% before. Which if you study hard shouldn’t even factor in. So, it will probably only affect people who have not studied enough. It probably won’t increase the pass rate at all, maybe just increase the scores slightly of the people who do not pass.

CFAI has mentioned that they do not use the format: "A. I and III are correct B. I and II are correct C. III is correct " Is this going to change? I searched the site and did not see anything. Personally I hate when I see questions like that. It really makes me second guess things and I spend too much time on what normally be a straight forward question.

doesn’t matter, you still gotta know your stuff to pass.

This scheme of answer is not going to make passing the exam easy. But you still have to know the stuff to answer the question correctly. Your chance of blindly picking the right answer is greater with this schema. But remember, it applies to everyone taking the exam. So the advantage definitely goes to guys who know the stuff more. Also, CFAI doesn’t have a declared policy of passing a candidate. We really don’t know how they may be raising the bar to maintain the exam standard. The “good news” is you have plenty of time to study.

hmmm, at first look, i dont like it, but someone made a good point – you either know it or you dont. Queston format won’t burn you inf you were going to fail anyways