Got my L2 books today, I'll wait on studying

I just received them today. I’ll listen to all you old-timers and lay off on studying for a while. I’m so tempted though… What do all the vets think of just casually reading CFAI for now, and then turning up the heat in December/January? I don’t plan on going crazy, just maybe read 2 of the CFAI books between now and December and then start again from the beginning with Schweser. Anyway, I’ve been busy with interviews and networking, which is a totally different challenge in and of itself.

Go ahead and read some of the material, maybe areas that are of interest to you. This will help to keep your mind on the material with out killing your self over 10 months of time series or foreign currency translation. Going balls to the wall right now would be unwise and unnecessary. I recommend turning up the intensity 1000% on Jan 2nd, after the holidays. I started in February, but another month would have allowed me to moderate my pace a bit. Edit: It is a good idea to spend time networking / interviewing now. I should be focusing more on that myself, but I have had a distinct lack of ambition since June 8th.

i bet you dont go more than a week without starting to study. the books are irrsistible and you know it…turn to reading 48 in volume 5 and tell me that is not sexy!!! : ) -

The books are made of wood. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol you guys!.. Getting excited over the 2009 curriculum like a 15 year old with his dad’s playboy in his hand.

And what else in the other hand?

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And what else in the other hand? LOL

The calculator i guess…:slight_smile: by the way hello all L2 ers …

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i bet you dont go more than a week without > starting to study. the books are irrsistible and > you know it…turn to reading 48 in volume 5 and > tell me that is not sexy!!! : ) - A piece of advice - do NOT offer to buy Daj’s used books unless he kept the shrink rap on…

A couple of days ago he already used 2 markers on them. Daj goes dirty with the books:) I tried to put my hand on the FSA book, made me throw up instantly. I need a break.

map1, I believe we all need a break (Daj, you to :slight_smile: ). In my case, it will be a 5 months long break. Cheers Milos

You’ve got 43 weeks before the exam (roughly). If you start to thumb your way through the curriculum now, you should be done in plenty of time and then it’s just revision. Make it easy for yourself to pass. Spread it out so you can still take holidays, get drunk and eat KFC for weeks on end without having to cram later on.

I started studying after christmas for LI and plan on starting after thanksgiving for LII…give myself a cushion for this beast…

I passed L1 in Dec & just took L2 in June, so I couldn’t start studying until beginning of Feb. That made it more difficult and time consuming than it had to be, but I think I may have passed. I don’t completely agree with most of the others who are discouraging you from studying this early. If I were in your shoes and I had the time available now, which is a luxury most people don’t have, I would try to make one pass through the CFAI text before starting in earnest in December. I don’t mean studying or doing questions, I mean just reading/skimming. You’d be surprised what you retain after a quick once over. Then from December to June actually study and do questions in CFAI and whatever prep provider you get. Just my opinion, but I would’ve been much more confident if I had been able to do that. I wouldn’t, and won’t for L3, give up the rest of my life during the next few months but I will try to do a quick read through of the text if time permits. Don’t waste you enthusiasm and drive, but more importantly, don’t crawl into the CFA cave just yet.

timfindlay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You’ve got 43 weeks before the exam (roughly). If > you start to thumb your way through the curriculum > now, you should be done in plenty of time and then > it’s just revision. Make it easy for yourself to > pass. Spread it out so you can still take > holidays, get drunk and eat KFC for weeks on end > without having to cram later on. FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS SEPT 4TH!!! ANOTHER DISTRACTION, AT LEAST FOR ME PERSONALLY.

OK daj, you win. I’m going to read for like an hour tonight. And yes Reading 48 did look interesting, but I’ll probably see that for the first time like in March. daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i bet you dont go more than a week without > starting to study. the books are irrsistible and > you know it…turn to reading 48 in volume 5 and > tell me that is not sexy!!! : ) -

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > OK daj, you win. I’m going to read for like an > hour tonight. And yes Reading 48 did look > interesting, but I’ll probably see that for the > first time like in March. > > told you so : ) -

daj, topher how are L2 studies going on?

hey werewolf, pretty good. i am making progress on my CAIA in sept and already moving thru the level II stuff. it is a different beast. right now, i am doing “light reading” a chapter here and there. i am jumping around, but this will not be the process in late september when I go hard core. anyways, good luck getting started. after you see the derivatives book, you will say yikes!

i hope i dont see CFAI CR anymore after Aug 19th :slight_smile: