Got the job - what next?

I finally have my first stab at a position that would count as experience towards the CFA charter. Currently working as business analyst/project manager and the new position is a portfolio analyst position (might have posted about it before). Base pay is same as my current job but bonus could be less. Commute to new position is about 2 hours. Should I take it? Would it help me in my career path? I’m not really looking to be in front office sales. I just want to make use of what I’ve learnt in the CFA curriculum and have been looking for a break into the industry… Or should I just stay on in my present job? Thoughts?

2 hr commute??? not each way I hope!

yup. Its about 1hr 45 min to 2 hr each way. Its a concern but if its going to help my career, I can make myself do it.

Dude you will hate life, I could never tell someone to spend 4 hours of there day in a car/Train. I commuted 1:15 - 1:30 when I lived in DC and I hated life.

I’d probably quit if I had longer than a 15 minute commute.

I am at about 30 - 40 minutes right now, not too bad

Long commute to work is not the worst thing that can happen. I hate my job and I hate this psychotic woman I have to work with. Her self-esteem is so low, she has to make herself feel better but Constantly comparing me to her. She’s always asking others what I’m working on, what my projects and telling everyone what school she went to, where she went for dinner, how big her house is, how intelligent her husband is. The sad thing is she’s not real smart and everytime I look at her pillsbury doughboy-like face, that 2 hour commute starts to look real good. Or maybe she looks more like bidendum, the michelin man…I can;t decide.

“Long commute to work is not the worst thing that can happen.” It’s up there…add a 4 hour round trip commute to a 14 hour day, sleep becomes quite expensive.

My commute has been 3.5-4 hrs r/t for the last 6 years. Its mainly because I can work in the city and live in the country…okay, and I was able to buy a house 3x the size of one in the city and on a beautiful piece of property for a relative price…:slight_smile: But seriously, as far as the commute goes, it really depends on how you are commuting and what you can accomplish during the commute, imo. I take a van pool most of the time. I can get a lot of studying in during the ride and if need be, take a short nap to help make up for the 4 hours of sleep I avg. a night. Congrats on the offer and good luck.

coolmelon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Long commute to work is not the worst thing that > can happen. > I hate my job and I hate this psychotic woman I > have to work with. > Her self-esteem is so low, she has to make herself > feel better but Constantly comparing me to her. > She’s always asking others what I’m working on, > what my projects and telling everyone what school > she went to, where she went for dinner, how big > her house is, how intelligent her husband is. > The sad thing is she’s not real smart and > everytime I look at her pillsbury doughboy-like > face, that 2 hour commute starts to look real > good. > > Or maybe she looks more like bidendum, the > michelin man…I can;t decide. I’m commuting 1.25-1.5 hrs and you just made me feel much better. Do you commute via train or car? Is there a possibility to move? That lady sounds miserable…I’m a believer in leaving places if you’re not happy but I hope she isn’t the sole cause of your unhappiness. If you know you can deal with the commute then go for it, but REALLY think about it. 2 hrs driving is a long time if that’s what you plan on doing…I find myself nodding off during my 1.25-1.5 hr commute now (watch out on I-95!!).

I commuted about 1:45-2:30 each way during my internship this summer. I also got in at 8am or before about 96% of the time. The morning commute is cool, read the paper, catch up on sleep, plan out what you will have for lunch. But when your going home it sucks big time you want to stab people and kill them, and throw things, and many other psychotic thoughts. The worse is you lose 2hrs of your day, at home…which could 2 solid hours of drinking/hitting on women. Also some days youll be so tired, that you become anti-social. Consider moving closer if you see this as longterm.

I live in Los Angeles, traffic is hell. I commute 11.25 mile according to Mapquest. The drive times is a whopping one hour.

I’d say move if you need to drive a car to get there. On the other hand, if it was a train, etc. I think the commute could be fun and productive. I’d love to just sit on a seat doing what I want to do and have someone else bring me where I need to go!

Good god. And I thought I had it bad with 3 hour commute to school/work (been doing it for almost 2 years now), but I’ll admit…I take the train/metro. Plus Side: SLEEP IN THE MORNING :D, Extra study time, eat, read a book. Down side: commute home sucks sometimes, but I sleep on that one too and set my cell’s alarm to wake me up 5 min before stop :). and sometimes i gotta piss soooo bad. but if your planning to commute 4 hours by car…you WILL shoot yourself

Bonk the secretary. Get fired. What else could there be?

coolmelon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yup. Its about 1hr 45 min to 2 hr each way. > Its a concern but if its going to help my career, > I can make myself do it. I’m doing this right now and it is one of the primary reasons why I resigned last week and took another (better) position that is only 30 min each way…trust me, it is no way to live, especially with studying (regardless of where you are in the program)…

hmm…looks like its pretty even. I would most probably be taking the bus to the train then I’ll take the train and then another bus or drive from the train stop to work. There are 3 legs to the journey.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bonk the secretary. Get fired. What else could > there be? best suggestion yet.

I see comments about the commute - what about the position though? Isn’t it worth it just to get some experience in? I’m not sure where I can go with such experience, apart from operations for portfolio management? Can anyone tell me what a portfolio analyst position might get me in the door for? Trying to decide if its worth the long commute. Thank you.

All I know is if I had a 4 hour commute each day, the payoff, or in your case the career path, had better be good… no question marks around it… it would have to be or there is no way that that kind of time is going to be worth anything in the end. Remember, the time you put in to the commute isn’t going to amount to piss when it comes to next year’s performance review or a promotion.