Got told off by the Boss and the CEO via phone and e-mail today...

Thought you guys might wanna know. Was great. I know I’m of “varying” degrees of popularity here so there. But I did want to ask how those who have had it happen to them dealt with it given situations in which you knew your boss was completely wrong in his assault. What do you guys think in situations like these: reprisal? Willy

We love you Willy. You’ll be ok. Was iit the cufflinks? Did they not match?

Worse…navy blue pants, black suit jacket. Willy

Your boss will always win in the end. Remember that.

why were u told off mate?

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thought you guys might wanna know. Was great. I > know I’m of “varying” degrees of popularity here > so there. But I did want to ask how those who have > had it happen to them dealt with it given > situations in which you knew your boss was > completely wrong in his assault. What do you guys > think in situations like these: reprisal? > > Willy according to your story, your boss and CEO stepped out of line once, so what would prevent them from doing it again? seems to me that some people never change, and so the best way to handle it is to take matters into your own hands and let your actions speak for themselves. for example, you could go seek out a job that pays more than your boss’ salary and tell the company you’re going to take the offer. when asked why you’re leaving and what you didn’t like about your job, just smile and tell them that you loved everything about it and that your boss is the best person in the universe. then, you tell your boss you’re quitting and walking out the door in half an hour. that would be pretty good reprisal, if you ask me.

How does this happen? Like in the movies where the boss shouts out “you’re fired”? As far as I’m concerned, anyone who has the discipline and guts to go for the CFA is a heck of an employee I want to keep.

Well, in short, they [my Boss and the CEO] were no entirely clear/aware about the particulars of a private client deal I was working on. They simply got their end of the story from our Lawyer who - God Bless Him - does the will and estate work for the client yet probably doesn’t even have a computer due to his octagenarian age category. And I mean I think that he really misrepresented certain aspects of the pitch I was able to do here based on some of the other work of mine he’s seen. Now managing expectations is managing expectations, I’m aware of that. However, I don’t see how my pursuit of additional client due diligence was any sort of “failure” or “dropping of the ball”. Like I’m sorry but at the end of the day I’ll be able to sleep well because I’ll know I wasn’t one of those “do whatever it takes to get the sale” types and I did my research on the client. I just feel badly that the CEO and my boss just “turn on a dime” on me. Its just somewhat breathtaking to see the guys who love you last week turn on you so quickly based on the moderately inaccurate details provided to them by our firms mind bogglingly old Legal guy. Errr Willy

Wil, if there’s one thing I’ve learned in this industry, it’s that people’s memories are extremely short. One week you’re a star, the next you had a trading error that cost the firm $150K…they keep you on, but it’s never the same. Start the job search…plenty of private client groups around looking for good people.

Oh yeah? Like who? I just find this huge pressure to sell sell sell…and boy do they milk my Charteredness…gosh. You’d think I was the only CFA at my firm…?..hey wait a second…I am!!! Willy

There’s that CFA as a noun thing again. :wink: Just teasing…

Burgundy/JF/CC&L/Foysten, I just wouldn’t call PH&N.

sorry about that, Willy. it’s always hard even when you know you were thinking about what’s best for your company.

I hope you aren’t one of those guys who calls high net worth individuals looking to get them to invest in shit.