graduated in spring, still unemployed. is this really bad?

peace corps…wouldn’t hurt.

jpliszka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > peace corps…wouldn’t hurt. Americorps is another one. Just do something. Volunteer for christ sake.

You have investment banks going under. You have the ones that are still alive and kicking, laying off people. You have PE firms not doing well. You have Hedge funds going down and letting people go and begging people not to redeem their investments. It’s hard to get a job now. In the next three months, its probably going to be worse. Thats when the real layoffs are going to happen. I would probably take anything just to get the bills paid. Even if it was temp work, I would take it.

Peace Corps or teach school. Peace Corps would be my choice. Wish I did that out of school. I didn’t really need the money I earned right out of college.

You’re not alone… it takes 3-6 months on avg to get a job in a entry level (well, so I was told by others and experienced myself). That again is assuming the market is stable.

stay de course, it took me 6 months of hell to finally find a job (mexican market a little bit harder) defenetly tough time to get in but you will find your way, continue with networking, staying on top of the news and hopefully you will get there, good luck

THis should illustrate the difficulty of the market. We are hiring a research associate (entry-level) position. Last year it probably would have gone to someone right out of undergrad or maybe someone with a year or two of experience and maybe level 1 of the CFA. Our top candidate now has an Ivy league undergrd and top 20 MBA and is a CFA charterholder and has worked at two hedge funds covering the space for the past 3 years and was previously an associate at another BB bank covering the same space. It is honestly insane to have someone so qualified taking an enetry level position but I’ve seen it happen about 6-8 times in the past 3 months. I don’t envy anyone who is looking for a job in research right now.

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THis should illustrate the difficulty of the > market. We are hiring a research associate > (entry-level) position. Last year it probably > would have gone to someone right out of undergrad > or maybe someone with a year or two of experience > and maybe level 1 of the CFA. Our top candidate > now has an Ivy league undergrd and top 20 MBA and > is a CFA charterholder and has worked at two hedge > funds covering the space for the past 3 years and > was previously an associate at another BB bank > covering the same space. > > It is honestly insane to have someone so qualified > taking an enetry level position but I’ve seen it > happen about 6-8 times in the past 3 months. I > don’t envy anyone who is looking for a job in > research right now. Ugh. This pretty much sums it up.

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THis should illustrate the difficulty of the > market. We are hiring a research associate > (entry-level) position. Last year it probably > would have gone to someone right out of undergrad > or maybe someone with a year or two of experience > and maybe level 1 of the CFA. Our top candidate > now has an Ivy league undergrd and top 20 MBA and > is a CFA charterholder and has worked at two hedge > funds covering the space for the past 3 years and > was previously an associate at another BB bank > covering the same space. > > It is honestly insane to have someone so qualified > taking an enetry level position but I’ve seen it > happen about 6-8 times in the past 3 months. I > don’t envy anyone who is looking for a job in > research right now. Did this guy take a huge pay cut excluding bonus? If so, why don’t you hire inexperienced people because they might be more satisfied with the salary?

so he was a former associate applying to i guess, a 3rd year associate position?

We don’t rank associates by year in ER…An associate is an associate. I’m not privy to what he was making before so I have no idea if he is taking a pay cut but I would assume he is. Associates pretty much top out at like $100k base and maybe $50k bonus in NYC and I would have to think with his background and education he was making over $300k all-in. We are going to hire the best candidate unless there is some reason not to…You got to figure if he is that desperate that he would apply and interview for an associate experience he is thinking he probably can’t get something better for at least a year…Most associates don’t stay much later than that anyway maybe 2-3 years tops. Out of undergrad it typically takes someone that long just to grasp the space.