GRE Vs GMAT

Which one is easier to get top score, as I am apply to the MFE program that acccepted both scores?

Im gonna say GRE. I never took the GMAT, but when I took the GRE it wasnt that difficult. The Quant section is really just algebra and geometry. If you study a bit it should’nt be a problem to ace. I know several people that studied over summer and got 800 on the quant section. Im sure most MFE programs are mostly interested in the quant section so im sure as long as you score ok on the verbal and Analytical portions you should be good

GMAT is much easier. I scored a 97 percentile on GMAT-Verbal and a pretty lousy score on the GRE Verbal. GRE Math is slightly easier.

I actually think they are comparable - while I was practicing for my GMAT, I was using both GRE and GMAT practice tests, and did not notice a lot of difference between the levels of difficulty.

Bought the GMAT books two years ago before change my mind about doing MBA. Now looking at it again, the reading section is really time pressured. Just wanted to take the shortest jounrey to fufill the applicaiton requirement.

Okay, here is my 2 cents. I took both GRE and GMAT (long story, don’t ask…) GRE —> This test tends to be more like the SAT with a little bit more rigor. Verbal section is very much like the SAT, and relies heavily in good grasp of college level vocabulary. Math section is quite similar to the GMAT. GMAT —> Verbal section in the GMAT includes Sentence Correction (SC), Critical Reasoning(CR) and Reading Comprehension (RC). SC and CR is not tested in GRE (at least when I took it in 2005). SC especially is problematic for a lot of people (as it was the case for me) because it basically tests grammar rules (and not the simple kind, think T.S. Eliot kind of prose…). Math section is not much different than the GRE. Since MATH section of GRE and GMAT is quite similar, your choice will probably hinge on the Verbal part. So ask yourself, “Am I more comfortable with vocab related questions than grammar rules?” If your answer is yes, choose GRE. If not choose GMAT. FYI, I scored around 99th percentile in GMAT and 98th in GRE (so based on my experience, the difficulty level is quite similar).

saj123, thanks for the insight overview. The verbal section is the one that I am most worried about, based on your suggestion, I will try GRE.

saj123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FYI, I scored around 99th percentile in GMAT and > 98th in GRE (so based on my experience, the > difficulty level is quite similar). Dude, how did you score so high. Were you a math major or what? On a side note, I’ll give my two. GMAT math will be more difficult if your not comfortable with data sufficiency problems. GMAT math is kicking my ass. Fu*^king word problems. I used to think I was decent at math, now i feel like an innumerate dipsh!t. I was shooting for 650-700, I’ve since pared that down 600-650. I don’t have enough time to study or the natural ability for anything higher. Anybody could get a high score given enough time to review. Most are lacking in this critical area. If you have the time and diligence you can crack either exam.

I hope you guys are right. I’m going to break this exam down bit by bit and hope to come out with a top score to show for it.

I just started studying for the GMAT as well. I haven’t picked a test date yet, but plan on doing so once I get comfortable with my preparations. How far in advance do I need to secure a test date? Also, we should keep each other posted on our study progress.

should plan the test date after u are scoring in your desired level

theKing Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Which one is easier to get top score, as I am > apply to the MFE program that acccepted both > scores? which programs are you applying to?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just started studying for the GMAT as well. I > haven’t picked a test date yet, but plan on doing > so once I get comfortable with my preparations. > How far in advance do I need to secure a test > date? Also, we should keep each other posted on > our study progress. Depends on where you score on your diagnostic, and how much time you think it will take you to get from your diagnostic score to your desired score. I’d say minimum two months.

I guess what I meant to say was, assuming I knew I wanted to take the test on November 1. What would be the minimum amount of time in advance in which I could sign up in order to ensure that a testing spot was available for me on November 1?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I guess what I meant to say was, assuming I knew I > wanted to take the test on November 1. What would > be the minimum amount of time in advance in which > I could sign up in order to ensure that a testing > spot was available for me on November 1? Numi, I had no issue booking a a spot. 2 weeks to a month in advance seems sufficient. But check the locations near you to see how quick they get filled. http://www.gmattutor.com/hundred.html This site is real helpful for study guides/plans.

thanks KJH!

Gouman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > saj123 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > FYI, I scored around 99th percentile in GMAT > and > > 98th in GRE (so based on my experience, the > > difficulty level is quite similar). > > > Dude, how did you score so high. Were you a math > major or what? > > Gouman - I was an Engineering/Econ major. So I do have quite a few math classes under my belt. Also, I have found out that generally I am a pretty good test-taker, which helps a lot in case of GMAT/GRE.

MFE Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > theKing Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Which one is easier to get top score, as I am > > apply to the MFE program that acccepted both > > scores? > > > which programs are you applying to? MFE, I am thinking applying to both UC Berkeley and UCLA.