Guess the US Median household income

Was curious about what people’s best guess for US median household income is; please don’t research it just take a guess. “household”, for the purpose of this guess, is defined here: ‘The household is “the basic residential unit in which economic production, consumption, inheritance, child rearing, and shelter are organized and carried out”; [the household] “may or may not be synonymous with family”.[1] The household is the basic unit of analysis in many social, microeconomic and government models. The term refers to all individuals who live in the same dwelling. In economics, a household is a person or a group of people living in the same residence.’

oh, also note I wrote MEDIAN, not average (the average would be higher than the median for obvious reasons.)

Isn’t it $45,000 or something like that?

I ran across it not too long ago, so I can’t answer :frowning:

I don’t think anyone really knows for sure what it is. I’ve seen conflicting studies. I have a range in mind though.

$70,000

$50k?

I’ll link to the most recent US census study after I see a few more guesses. I think the census is probably the most reliable source, but if someone else thinks they have a more reliable one, I’ll happily look at it too.

Last time I saw it, it was around 50k.

$47,500 or so, I believe.

$40K is my guess

$2,700 plus $4000 worth of food stamps…plus a brand new flat screen tv with the x box and logitech speakers…

I’ll go with $40k.

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > $2,700 plus $4000 worth of food > stamps…plus a brand new flat screen tv > with the x box and logitech > speakers… Logitech is for the working poor. The truly poor opt for Bose.

Less than 43 I believe. My guess is 42 and change.

pretty damn good guesses. The most recent census that I was able to find was from 2009, and it is here: http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/p60-238.pdf Median household income for 2009 in USA was $49,777, +/-$350 for a 90% confidence interval. strangely, 2008 median income was higher, at $50,112, and I thought 2008 was a pretty crappy year, so I figured it would be lower. for 2010? who knows… 2009 Median earnings for Full time year round workers: Men: $47,127 Women: $36,278

Take that, women!

i don’t get it, how is the household income only 5% greater than the avg man’s income? i thought there were a ton of dual income households? this would suggest that only ~8% of households are dual-income.