Guy Who Brought No Calculator!

For the moring session when I was checking in to my section and the lady who was checking calculators to make sure they were the acceptable ones, asked the guy in line in front of me to see his calculator and he said he didn’t bring one. I was totally stunned that he said that. The test was alot more conceptual than calculator based but still, not to bring a calculator is amazing to me. BTW he left about an hour into the first exam and didn’t show up for the afternoon session. I too the test in Dallas.

As someone made the point on a separate thread - I think I used my calculator about a dozen times - tops. It’s a bit of a blur but I don’t remember relying on it like I thought I would. I was hoping for a bunch more of those lovely TVM calcs qs.

I tested in Dallas too and noticed more people left early in the afternoon session and am guessing at least 10% of no shows. Schweser definitely made us rely more on calculator usage than the real deal. No idea why the mislead though…

Calculations help you understand the concepts better, especially the relationships between variables. I don’t think Schweser misleads you to beleive that there will be many calculations on the test. They actually state that the test is more and more conceptual and they use calculations to help you understand the topic.

shark777 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Calculations help you understand the concepts > better, especially the relationships between > variables. I don’t think Schweser misleads you to > beleive that there will be many calculations on > the test. They actually state that the test is > more and more conceptual and they use calculations > to help you understand the topic. Exactly. I’m glad to see others recognize this.

Yes I agree. Doing so many calculations helped me understand the moving parts in all the equations and how increases/decreases in one variable changes the overall ratio. The problems that took many steps and calculations, like calculating change in cash and just giving you financial statements in different years, was very helpful in understanding the concept. Plus, I felt like I had more time to do each question on the actual exam because I trained myself to move faster on the schweser exams because of the extra calcs.