Gym rats unite!

**leaving thread before spoilers**

Spoiler - House of Cards is going downhill fast.

^

It’s pretty much rolled off the cliff now. They’ll have to abandon the storyline they were developing towards the end of season 3 to make the show anywhere near respectable again.

Netflix’s Daredevil is pretty cool though.

House of Cards Season 3 WTF bros!! I cant get through it. on a side note, I would do unspeakable things to Jackie Sharp.

Have you seen her without make-up? Not very nice.

Melisandre and Margaery Tyrell though…

to bring it back to the OP - if your goal is weight loss, I think you might actually be hurting your progress with your workout schedule. As someone else noted, that’s too much work load especially if you are really pushing yourself. With that workout schedule you likely feel hungry all the time and you justify eating more calaries with the amount of work you’re putting in. This won’t get you the weigh loss you want.

If I were you I’d keep it to about 2 (3 max) intense workout days and get in some good long walks on other days. If you can mix in a sprint day, that would also be very helpful. If you keep this schedule you’ll more easily be able to restrict carbs and eating healthy fats will keep you satiated. You’ll build some muscle and the weight will melt off. You’ll also increase performance. That sounds counterintuitive, but the stress you’re putting on your body without sufficient recovery is probably hurting your performance. When you limit yourself to a couple intense workouts per week, you are fully recovered going into them and you can really push yourself and break through to a higher level of performance.

Jesus. Losing weight is pretty simple and it doesn’t require working out in the least.

Option 1: Simply count your calories. I’ve said it several times before but people would rather put themselves through P90x than simply stop eating a shit ton of food. Aim for a 500-750 calorie deficit per day and you’ll see steady weight loss. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Option 2: For faster results, follow #1 and basically do Atkins. Aim for 20 net carbs a day (substract fiber) getting most of those from veggies. Be sure to eat plenty of good (monosaturated) fat. Sounds counterintuitive, but the goal is ultra low carbs and high fat and higher than average protein. Don’t go low carb, low fat, and high protein. You’ll feel like shit, be in a bad mood, feel hungry more often, and it doesn’t work nearly as well.

That’s it. That’s all you have to do. Once you start shedding layers of fat, then you can worry about getting swole.

I am wondering, wouldn’t a 300 lb guy already be very muscular under all the fat? I weigh 165 lbs for instance, and if you made me carry around 140 lbs all the time, I imagine that I would become quite strong. Even reaching for Doritos on the top shelf would be a workout if you are carrying 20 lbs on your arms. Maybe it doesn’t work that way.

^Very muscular is a bit of a stretch, but yes, fat dudes do have more muscle since they have to carry around that extra weight. Without lifting, if a 300 lbs guy lost enough weight to get down to your size, he’d tear you apart.

But, it’s not like they’re Hulks under that fat or anything. 99% of them are in horrible shape and would probably get winded before being able to rip you in two.

Eating less is not as easy as it sounds. It requires a lot of willpower and many MANY people fail. Simply counting calories is not right: calories from processed foods are not the same as calories from whole foods. And the person will experience the hunger (once his/her portions are reduced) and have to deal with that discomfort on a consistent basis. It is not easy and the person should not anticipate it to be easy. But it’s doable with the right mindset.

I am also not a believer in any diets, but rather in a balanced approach.

Maybe GM can give us an overview what he typically eats during the day and we can make suggestions?

My brother was a linebacker. Weighed 240 and could squat 680, bench about 475. He cut weight down to 175 after college and is one of the strongest people I know. Even though he’s about 10 pounds lighter than me now, I wouldn’t want to have to fight him. Granted, he was like 4% fat even when he was 240.

^Do you have a sister? If so, i suggest we have a family brawl.

Whether or not the person has the willpower to follow a diet is another thing altogether. However, if your mind is set, losing weight is simple. It just takes time.

As for not all calories being equal…yes and no. If you just want to lose weight and don’t care about other things like what exactly you’re putting into your body, the type of food doesn’t matter. It’s entirely possible (and there are a few documentaries about it) to lose weight eating nothing but fast food. So long as you operate at a consistent calorie deficit, you’ll lose weight. It’s science.

You’re right on about controlling hunger and discomfort though. I can (and actually have) lost weight eating, essentially, Capt N Crunch (with Crunch Berries, obviously), pizza, and wine. I just made sure I stayed around 1,500 calories (net) a day and the lbs came right off, right on schedule. But, I was hungry much of the time and suffered from some pretty wild mood swings.

That’s where eating a high fat, low carb diet comes in. You can feel fuller longer on a high fat diet than on the same amount of calories of just carbs (particularly if it’s low on fiber).

tl;dr - calorie counting is about 90% of weight loss regardless of what type of food you’re eating. How happy you are while on your diet depends on what you’re consuming. And, the more satisified you are the more likely you are to reach your goal…so, yeah.

No, but I really can’t overstate how intense he is. He’s got a good 8 years of brazilian jui jitsu and mma (back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s before it was all the rage). I watched him absolutely decimate an all state wrestler who was at his same weight when he was 190 before he put on the football weight. I got into it with him once when I was boxing golden gloves and he got a hand on me and literally threw me through the air, I cleared our couch and landed on my feet on the other side of it and just took off.

One of the problems most people have is motivation. If someone wants to “look better” or “feel better” or “do it for their health” and they are way out of shape I won’t even waste time trying to help. You’ve got to want it bad because it’s a long, arduous process that will interfere with much of your daily life. It takes more than just a little vanity or health kick from a visit to the doctor to dig as deep as you need to day in and day out. When I’m at the tail end of sprinting a mile on the treadmill, every part of me wants to quit, you’ve got to have something deep to tap into.

Fat ppl don’t become fat because they’re sedentary and eat too much, they’re sedentary and eat too much because they’re fat. There’s a ton of books out there on this. Basically they have over active fat tissues that rob their bodies of nutrients. To compensate, they either have low energy levels (are sedentary) or have their mind tell them to continue eating because their cells are still starving (thus eating too much). Check out “why we get fat” I think it was called. Talks all about it. Or instead, I’ll save you the money. Basically you have to keep your insulin low by avoiding carbs/ sugars. Shitty diets make you hungry. The amount of “willpower” needed tends to be overhyped because they assume the same diet in just a lesser quantity. I know highly overweight ppl that are less hungry on their <1k cal clean diets than they were at 3/4k+ diets eating whatever they wanted. Just my $.02. I’d obviously suggest talking to a pro if you’re srs about weight loss, especially when your loss goal is ~100+. GL.

There are just as many books arguing the opposite. It’s hardly shocking that there are books using hard science to argue the chicken and the egg of being fat. End of the day, most people i know who are overweight never lived any form of active lifestyle. I’ve also watched people start working as raft guides and drop 40 lbs in a summer just because they were active instead of sitting on their ass all day staring out the window. So either their body composition suddenly changed or they just started moving around more.

I can also look around the cubicle field and find any number of people who are significantly overweight now that openly admit to me they weren’t before they started working in a cubicle. This also belies the “I’m sedentary because I’m fat” argument.

I’m overweight and I’ve been very active all my life. I blame Propecia. That and a family history of bad diabetes on both sides of my family probably has an effect. Diet is crucial. It’s very difficult to burn calories, putting them on is easy…but this six cheese bagel is so damn tasty…

All calories are the same. What’s not the same is the macros in let’s say 100 calories worth of cooking oil vs. 100 calories worth of broccoli. If you consume less/more calories than you burn on a daily basis, you will lose/gain weight, end of story.