Gym rats unite!

If you are really really serious, WLS (weight loss surgery, e.g. RnY) is one way. It’s not “the easy way out” as you may imagine. You’ve to do a ton of diet changes, take supplements and after the WLS try NOT to stretch your stomach out more. Still, it is probably easier than “willpower” (hard to maintain unless you have a specific goal in mind) and working out (hard to maintain unless you have a specific goal in mind).

Cons: 2% chance you’ll die on the operating table… if you are healthy. Higher if not. And lots of side effects.

EDIT: so where I was going with this is; you could eat the 6-cheese bagel after WLS, but a very small portion, and still feel full. The bagel would have to be whole pearl barley bagel or something though - no enriched refined flour.

Since I’ve started exercising seriously, I’ve just lost appetite for all things bread. Nobody encouraged me to not eat bread and I definitely didn’t try to avoid it but for some reason, I’ve almost completely stopped eating bread.

Difference: Able to do 1.5-2x more exercise in the gym and study for longer, don’t feel sleepy after meals anymore (which helps with cfa)

That’s a good example of intuitive eating. With increased activity your body is naturally craving more satisfying nutrient dense foods.

Agreed, so the next step ought to be taking supplements, erh?

Atleast my trainer thinks so. almost everyday I’m hearing - you should take this, that and what not, and you’ll turn into an effing beast. I, on the other hand am completely opposed to the idea of taking any supplements, etc - except for whey protein maybe. I’d much rather spend that money on eating better quality food, spending more time at gym and maybe using more of steam/sauna to relax…IMO that would give better results in the long run than supplements.

Would appreciate any thoughts you/others may have on this.

Agree 100%. Your program (eat natural, work out and relax) sounds a lot more inviting than popping pills and worrying about nutrient percentages. With the latter, you might literally piss away hundreds of dollars per month. (This doesn’t apply if you do have a genetic condition or a disease that requires supplements.)

Kinda like playing with small but real t1ts vs big fake plastic bazongas.

yea i don’t really take supplements, except sometimes do protein shakes. probably the only thing i’d consider adding is fish oil. generally, eating real food should get you everything you need for optimal health.

I’m not the biggest guy in the world but I’ve been around gyms and bodybuilding for the past couple of years. In my experience, you have the rigth idea. Real food is far superior to supplements and most suppelments are garbage. Get a good quality protein, some fish oil, maybe some aminos, and a multivitamin and you’re all set.

I’d agree that most supplements are hokum but creatine is the real deal. If you are looking to get stronger, there’s not much of a reason not to take it.

Thanks for the response guys - know what I’m doing now.

Cheers!

IMO people who take protein shakes and creatine tend to get too much muscle for their height.

They end up being pretty strong but look like shit in a suit.

Also, ladies usually like bodies with natural proportions.

So while looking like a silverback gorilla might impress the bros at the squat rack, it also has a downside.

On my last visit to the gym I was on a treadmill facing section where they keep weight lifting machines. The entire 40 minutes I was on the mill there was this girl who was working on her upper body muscles.

I’ve noticed that her shoulders were noticeably wider that her hips and was wondering why would a young female try so hard to develop this disproportional look? Such body dimensions would look good on a guy, but looked really odd on a female.

Any thoughts?

^She’s not doing it for looks, she’s doing it to get strong so people’ll think twice before commenting on her looks.

Just my opinion but I think short+stocky men are gorgeous. Think rugby players.

It depends on your goals. If getting stronger is a goal, then getting bigger is going to go hand-in-hand with that. I am certainly no expert but my understanding is cross-sectional area of muscle is correlated with strength. As for the ladies are you basing your opinion on what women have said they like or what they have shown they like? Cuz we know what women say they want often does not play out in their actions.

I LOVE PLANKS!

it’s so easy to do but it’s so effective! it’s such a great ab workout… i am not too sure about the legs though, unless you lift one leg up while planking…

Concentrating on abs/stomach area now

4 questions if anyone can help:

1. Abs before or after weights/cardio?

2. Daily or alternate days? I’m told no exercise should be done everyday (which my personal exp with squats and pushups has shown to be false, but maybe abs are diff)

3. cardio before or after weights? I’m told fat loss is higher when you do cardio after weights, but I’m not sure I fully understand the logic behind this

4. Rest for a strict period of time b/w sets or for as long as it takes me to fully recover and be in a “I’m ready to kill the next set” state?

Here are my 0.02 :

Two issues with weight loss…

Exercise doesn’t actually correlate with material weight loss.

And the “calories in calories out” equation isn’t how biology actually works. What the actual observations tell us – once you gain weight, basically it is permanent.

Very true. The calories in/calories out is so wrong and completely ignorant about physiology. Same with exercise having a pretty limited impact compared to diet.

Keep in mind that I’m no fitness expert, but I was forced into some nutrition/exercise classes in the Marine Corps. So take this for what it’s worth.

1 and 3 - Do cardio first. Then weights. Then abs. Cardio gets the whole body “warmed up”, so that doing weights/calisthics is more productive afterwards.

2 - Abs are more resilient than most muscles. Unless you’re working them to failure (which you’re probably not), you can do abs pretty much every day.

4 - Depends on your goal. Trying to lose weight? Then cut down on the rest. Trying to bulk up? Make sure you’re rested so you can work the muscles better.

1. Weights, abs, cardio in that order.

2. You can exercise everyday if you wish but alternate exercise groups. For me, 3-4 days per week is enough

Your schedule could look like this:

Mon: legs (squats, lunges), abs. Wed: back, biceps, abs, cardio Fri: Chest, triceips, shoulders, abs, cardio Sat: cardio

Tip: separate cardio from leg days

1. Cardio ALWAYS after weights, ALWAYS! Cardio before weights is a huge no-no. This is because you use more glycogen (energy) for cardio. With weight lifting, your last 2-3 reps is where you gain muscle so this is where you have to push yourself. If you must warm up, do some static and dynamic stretches.

2. This is entirely up to you and it depends on your goal. If you do heavy exercises such as squats and deadlifts, you will want to rest 2 minutes. But OTOH if you’re doing a circuit, no rest.

Remember: abs are made in the kitchen. You have to watch your diet. This means minimal junk food. High protein, preferably white meat (chicken), eggs and nuts.