Habemus Papam

So who will it be? I say Angelo Scola.

We have a black POTUS, so I say we’ll have a black Pontiff too: Cardinal Peter Turkson from Ghana.

Must be a pretty good feeling to have just been elected infallible.

Supposedly, the Holy Spirit gives the cardinals divine insight to choose the right Pope. You know, I wonder if they actually believe all this stuff. Or is there some cardinal who is like “yeah, this is all BS, but it gets me a pay check, so there”.

Still keeping fingers crossed for gay female Hispanic Pope.

“yeah, this is all BS, but it gets me choir boys.”

If they had that same power to choose the right boys they wouldn’t be in so much trouble.

Some chap from Argentina

I guess IEV won?

i wonder what it feels like to elected to lead an institution that has caused more death, destruction and misery than any other in recorded history.

So he is really pope Francis 1? That is, none of the past 265 popes has called himself Francis?

For comparison, 8 popes have taken the name “Boniface”.

http://graphics.wsj.com/pope-names/#i=id123&t=0

Guys,

Please be respectful of religion. Not saying I agree or disagree, but shtting on religion is just bad form.

You didn’t get memo, Islam just surpassed catholicism.

But the question remains, is my fellow citizen an Illuminati or not?

Probably pretty good.

“Besides being the first non-European pope in the modern era, the first South American pope and the third straight non-Italian pope, he also is the first Pope Francis.”

• CNN

Kind of makes you wonder if it’s still the ROMAN Catholic Church.

It is a bit annoying how all CNN ever does in these situations is try and hype having a first minority. I really thought this would end as soon as Obama was elected. But no, now its even worse.

If we have a Latin pope who speaks Latin, why do people still call it a dead language?

I’m no racist, but at least for the sake of the altar boys it’s good that the new pope isn’t black.

I love statements that start with either “no offense” or “I’'m no/not racist” bc it devoids you of any liability no matter what the statement is - brilliant.

Just read up on this dude. Sounds like the church took the opportunity to embrace a more progressive attitude…and shat on it. On paper this appears to be a step backwards.

I just read some brief things. He is apparently in favor of contraception. This is probably the single most important issue for the church to take a position on.

Reading Wikipedia now… this sounds a bit sketchy:

“On 15 April 2005, a human rights lawyer filed a criminal complaint against Bergoglio, as superior in the Society of Jesus of Argentina, accusing him of involvement in the kidnapping by the Navy in May 1976 (during the military dictatorship) of two Jesuit priests.[30] The priests, Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics, were found alive five months later, drugged and semi-nude.”