Hair on the face

So I’ve been rocking a neatly trimmed beard for about 4 years (25 - 21 = 4). I just want to know how against the law it is to be going into a junior position interview with hair all over your face. I know the safe bet would be to just shave but I really don’t want to. A good chap of mine, his brother is an I-banker for Goldman. He’s at the VP level now and sports some facial hair but he says it wasn’t allowed in the younger positions. Is there really that much discrimination going on these days? Many thanks for any helpful input

Unless you are going to the interview with a story of how your beard helped you overcome great adversity, you should probably shave it.

Lol, good post. I like the supporting calculations. I would say it’s a gamble, depends how badly you want the position. If you feel like you’ve got a gaggle of opportunities for interviews and this isn’t so high up, just make sure your beard is trimmed impeccably and see what happens. If this is pretty important interview, better shave. Odds are not in favor of the bearded candidate, particularly given the contact with high level clients in a traditional mindset that most IB guys will see. Honestly, most managers have an ideal type in mind (often subliminally typically modeled on a past high performer) as they interview and the more your overall appearance and demeanor matches that the better your odds are.

if you’ve had it for a while, i’d leave it, but shave/trim fresh for the interview. i’ve had some growth since the holidays and had recieved a few looks, but have since seen others sport the growth from the workplace to the gym. i admit its not super-professional, but i’m not in a client-facing role.

Facial hair should be fine if you’re keeping it trimmed. I cite religious reasons for keeping mine.

i don’t think there’s anything wrong with facial hair, as long as it’s maintained. of course, i’m not in IB, so it’s a different culture

But why risk it? Even if you shave, you will get the facial hair back a few weeks.

Just shave the stupid thing. I know for sure a cleanly shaven face will not be held against you whereas the beard is definitely an unknown. Remove all unknowns. It might be ok for you to wear a pink tie with flowers on it to but it’s not the wise bet.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But why risk it? Even if you shave, you will get > the facial hair back a few weeks. +1. This is basic risk/reward stuff.

You need to shave that Reggie bush. As an aside, I’ve been in a departmental beardoff sine the first week in January. I look gooooooooood with a beard.

A handful of us came back from the Christmas/New Year break with a beard. I kept mine for a week. I kept driving me nuts and I figured it was time to go.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just shave the stupid thing. I know for sure a > cleanly shaven face will not be held against you > whereas the beard is definitely an unknown. Remove > all unknowns. It might be ok for you to wear a > pink tie with flowers on it to but it’s not the > wise bet. What M&E said. You’ve got more than enough difficult known things you’re going to have to compete with (qualifications, fit, pay, etc). Why add an unknown?

Leave it. After every question pause for a second and lightly stroke it (your beard that is). If they ask you about your personal shaving philosophy, tell them you only wax and you’re currently “brazilian.”

I don’t like the idea of shaving your beard that you’ve had for four years just for an interview. It is a slippery slope to pretending to like Michael Bolton music.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. Very helpful, interesting and funny. I’m sure I’ll end up shaving when the time comes but it’s great to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter. Cheers!

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Leave it. After every question pause for a second > and lightly stroke it (your beard that is). > > If they ask you about your personal shaving > philosophy, tell them you only wax and you’re > currently “brazilian.” This or shave Regggjaaaaayyyyy. Good luck sir.

greatness: http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/detail.php?p=292856&v=nbc_parks-and-recreation&ecid=PRF-TV2-101875&pa=PRF-TV2-101875

gamblingeconomist Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t like the idea of shaving your beard that > you’ve had for four years just for an interview. > It is a slippery slope to pretending to like > Michael Bolton music. Who’s pretending?

The boss is out today…I didn’t shave…I’m so BA.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > gamblingeconomist Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t like the idea of shaving your beard > that > > you’ve had for four years just for an interview. > > > It is a slippery slope to pretending to like > > Michael Bolton music. > > > Who’s pretending? Personally, I celebrate the man’s entire catalog