Harvard MBA? is it worth it?

Whats your view on me applying an mba at harvard business school? My profile: 27 years, Malaysian, CFA Level 2 Candidate, currently working as a Sell-side equity analyst in a local brokerage firm. Is it worth it? Main goal: fund manager in 4-5 years.

are you serious ?? Why would you want to go to Harvard …university of phoenix is where its @ …!

You are in research and you can’t think about this any more of an analytical mind than that? What are your goals, in more detail, and are they achievable from where you are now? What are the costs? Does HBS help you reach your goals? What are the intangibles worth (if you want a different job…doing what you want, etc…) For some people it makes sense. For others it would be a step backwards. On top of that, you should at least consider your likeliood of admission; If I had a 550 GMAT and low GPA from a no name school, I’d probably save my $200 application fee, but thats just me. There is always a chance you get in, no matter your background, so if the payoff is big enough for you, it might make sense to apply.

How about get accepted first and then decide if you want to spend the $150k it cost to go there. As for the $200 application fee, I agree with FIAnalyst. If you have a shot, apply, but if your stats are off the mark, save your $200 and go to a nice dinner or something.

your profile is not unique enough for harvard.

Hello Ahmad, Just out of curiosity --> “local” - do you mean Malaysia or the US?

How much does HBS cost? How much weight do you think the top tier schools put on the CFA charter when considering an application?

I’d rather spend the $150,000 on a Ferrari. Lots of failures have gone to HBS, but none bigger than President Bush.

A used ferrari.

I thought this was going to be a joke thread. Sadly its legit.

ahmadmaghfur Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Whats your view on me applying an mba at harvard > business school? My profile: 27 years, Malaysian, > CFA Level 2 Candidate, currently working as a > Sell-side equity analyst in a local brokerage > firm. Is it worth it? Main goal: fund manager in > 4-5 years. unfortunately, i agree with most of the posters here – you are an extreme longshot for HBS. 24-25 is the sweetspot for acceptance, and you missed that window. they do take people 27+, but most of these people are not in finance or have done something unusual before working, like peace corps or whatever. CFA is not highly valued. malaysian might help.

Infinitely more relevant than age: Months of Work Experience Average Months of Post-College Work Experience 48 Range of Months of Work Experience 0-160 http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html

CFA is not that valued at biz schools? I wonder why.

If you have to ask…

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > unfortunately, i agree with most of the posters > here – you are an extreme longshot for HBS. 24-25 > is the sweetspot for acceptance, and you missed > that window. they do take people 27+, but most of > these people are not in finance or have done > something unusual before working, like peace corps > or whatever. CFA is not highly valued. malaysian > might help. 27 by no means is too old for an MBA. There may be other factors which can adversely impact his application, such as more competition in the MBA application pool due to the current US recession, but age is not one of them. It all depends on your GPA, GMAT, and what you can add to the class as a student. CFA will be valued as long as you can tie it to your future goals in your application, and communicate (that’s where well-written essays & letters of recommendation come into play) to the admission office the difficulty and commitment in getting a charter. Check out: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ and read essays written by MBA students. That will give you some idea about the application process. Good Luck.

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahmadmaghfur Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Whats your view on me applying an mba at > harvard > > business school? My profile: 27 years, > Malaysian, > > CFA Level 2 Candidate, currently working as a > > Sell-side equity analyst in a local brokerage > > firm. Is it worth it? Main goal: fund manager > in > > 4-5 years. > > unfortunately, i agree with most of the posters > here – you are an extreme longshot for HBS. 24-25 > is the sweetspot for acceptance, and you missed > that window. they do take people 27+, but most of > these people are not in finance or have done > something unusual before working, like peace corps > or whatever. CFA is not highly valued. malaysian > might help. How the heck would you know? You don’t know anything about this guy. He could have a Fields Medal, a Nobel Prize, and be the world kickboxing champion in between building orphanages and going to work. That combined with his 1600 GMAT’s and his Harvard undergrad should probably do fine even if he is 27. Edit: And my Dad started at HBS when he was, um, 27! (right after he had the misfortune of siring me).

well we know he didnt get a 1600 GMAT for sure since GMAT is not on that scale…lol

Uh, really? What is the GMAT scale?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How the heck would you know? You don’t know > anything about this guy. He could have a Fields > Medal, a Nobel Prize, and be the world kickboxing > champion in between building orphanages and going > to work. That combined with his 1600 GMAT’s and > his Harvard undergrad should probably do fine even > if he is 27. actually, that’d be me…and to set the record straight, i won the nobel peace prize *while* i was defending my world kickboxing title. they handed me the prize as i roundhouse kicked my opponent in the face.

800 GMAT or 1600