Have you been interviewing?

How do you respond if your manager were to bluntly ask? I would imagine that they would not ask if they were not sure, so no sense in lying?

thats a toughie, I guess I would probably say that I always keep my eyes open to new opportunities but am not necessarily jumping at anything at the moment. Safer bet, lie.

My manager once asked me, “Numi, have you been interviewing?” I replied, “Should I be?” Caught him totally off-guard there…he didn’t want to be intrusive so we moved onto the next boring topic of the day.

thats a great reply

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My manager once asked me, “Numi, have you been > interviewing?” > > I replied, “Should I be?” > > Caught him totally off-guard there…he didn’t > want to be intrusive so we moved onto the next > boring topic of the day. Numi you have a gift my friend. You know what to say when.

Numi, that was my response when asked :slight_smile: Safer bet is to lie on this one.

Nice response Numi.

I told my guy straight up…YES. You’d be surprised how many times you’d get “Oh yeah, are they hiring Senior Managers too”? Willy

In my case I’ll be honest and say, “Yes, I got some interest on that LinkedIn.” They are not in my network, but plenty of directors at my employer are on there in search of business opportunities, employment inquires, etc. As much as I would like, I dont’ think I could pull off Numi’s crossfire.

I honestly would never lie about stuff like that. Its best to be as transparent as possible, not as transparent as you need to be. And let your employer manage around that. Willy

WillyR - I work for retaliatory type people, though. I’m pretty sure that’d blow up in my face in the form of a pink slip and a box or make life very miserable.

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I told my guy straight up…YES. You’d be > surprised how many times you’d get “Oh yeah, are > they hiring Senior Managers too”? > > Willy I was internning for 2 months after college at this institution. They all knew I was interviewing for a full time position and were cool with it. Tangent to Willy’s comment, a seasoned analyst asked if I could keep him in mind while job searching to see if they were hiring principals with a Series 7/63/27 License.

great response, numi what about when interviews turn into office visits that require missing a day of work? do any of you come clean at that point, or just say that you’re sick and can’t come in?

I just call in “sick” (I didn’t have to use this excuse too often, but figured that once I ran out of sick days, I’d just call in “dead”)

maybe i’ll just call in “apathetic”

call in dead…lol