Have you felt CFA is hurting you?

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was actually thinking today while watching > Bloomberg and a story on Stanford Financial that > the CFA is only going to increase in value. In an > era where there is rampant financial corruption > (Madoff, Stanford, and many others I’m sure) and > mass financial ignorance (everyone that invested > with Madoff, Stanford, etc), people who have > proven that they have a solid grasp of the > financial system and are well-versed in financial > ethics will be in high demand. I predict that > we’re in for another 3-5 years of > recession/depression, but when the smoke clears > those with the CFA will reap their rewards. Hahahaha… Learning the Ethics curriculum doesn’t make you ethical.

“Hahahaha… Learning the Ethics curriculum doesn’t make you ethical.” I love the ethical argument of getting the charter. Seriously, I sit on a floor with ~40 charterholders…do you think any of them remember/actively think about most of the ethics curriculum?

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “Hahahaha… Learning the Ethics curriculum > doesn’t make you ethical.” > > I love the ethical argument of getting the > charter. Seriously, I sit on a floor with ~40 > charterholders…do you think any of them > remember/actively think about most of the ethics > curriculum? Nope

Thanks numi, I knew you’d back me up on that one.

I think there might be some dirndl pics up on the site which shall not be named.

It helped me and it hurt me. My boss once very sincerely said to us that he would fire anyone who would do something like the CFA. He didn’t explicitly mentioned the CFA, but it was clear that he wanted us to put all our effort into working for him instead of “wasting” time with some academic bs or anything more time consuming than taking a nap. I will never understand how a boss can discourage people investing their spare time into education that would sooner or later benefit him too, but nonetheless, with him saying that I thought I should better not make it public that I am going for the CFA. For me that meant continuing to work an average 60 hours week + a few hours on weekends. At work, I must say the preparation for the CFA really made a positive impact. Studying in every spare second, however, exhausted me, made my sometimes sloppy in my work, made studying even harder, and eventually had me fail Level I twice. Right now, I am taking a breather, before I will try it again. Dec 09 the earlierst.

I am about to apply at McKinsey. I am indeed thinking, if I should put the CFA on my resume, since they want their research analysts to do the CFA, so I don’t want that HR people thinking about to switch my app to research :wink: what are you guys thinking?!

Daddy-Bear Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It helped me and it hurt me. My boss once very > sincerely said to us that he would fire anyone who > would do something like the CFA. He didn’t > explicitly mentioned the CFA, but it was clear > that he wanted us to put all our effort into > working for him instead of “wasting” time with > some academic bs or anything more time consuming > than taking a nap. I will never understand how a > boss can discourage people investing their spare > time into education that would sooner or later > benefit him too, but nonetheless, with him saying > that I thought I should better not make it public > that I am going for the CFA. For me that meant > continuing to work an average 60 hours week + a > few hours on weekends. At work, I must say the > preparation for the CFA really made a positive > impact. Studying in every spare second, however, > exhausted me, made my sometimes sloppy in my work, > made studying even harder, and eventually had me > fail Level I twice. Right now, I am taking a > breather, before I will try it again. Dec 09 the > earlierst. It’s because they’re insecure about their own jobs, that’s why they want to prevent *you* from getting too many credentials since the more accomplished you become, the more likely you will leave the firm for something better. I believe that every good manager should do his or her best to promote the professional development of their employees, but unfortunately a lot of people, especially in finance, have a very short-term view of the world and couldn’t care less if they worked you to the bone all the time and all your other personal interests went out the window. Your description of your boss sounds a lot like mine, and I managed to put up with it for a couple years…so glad I eventually dropped him like a bad habit, though.