Have you felt CFA is hurting you?

Somewhat odd question… But wondering if there are any folks who feel that CFA is not helping them in their jobs. So they try to hide it? The common reasons that I heard so far are… 1) Your boss does not like you using it, so you hide it 2) Your company does not want people to show off their 100 different charters, so they have a policy against putting any stuff after your name 3) It is irrelevant in your current job, so annoys coworkers 4) You are looking for a job that does not need CFA & the future employer gets confused with this thing on your resume I am trying to see if there are any folks who feel that CFA is hurting them instead of helping them.

That is the first I have ever heard of something like that.

regarding #2, do you work at SEC? Because that is exactly their policy

I find it hurts my productivity for a few months a year…during what is often the busiest time of year. Last year my boss actually said, don’t write if it’s going to hurt your productivity, as we’re marketing two deals in April/May. I wrote…it ended badly.

CFA has definitely helped me on my job and in my investing. if a company/ppl have a problem with you having a CFA, stay away or run away fast. How can education like the CFA hurt?

My former boss was not really encouraging me to take the CFA because he was more concerned about my ability to get his work done, as opposed to my own career advancement. That was the biggest problem for me. Other than that, I can’t say that the CFA hurt me in any way, it’s just that I spent a lot of my free time studying for the exams when the incremental value-add to my career prospects was rather minimal.

My boss didn’t take to kindly the fact that I was doing the CFA, considering that I’m the only person in the office with a university education…

> 1) Your boss does not like you using it, so you > hide it I never thought of that point, once again, most of us think with their heads instead of using “feeling”. I guess it would “hurt” somebody’s feeling around my office. However, beside that, I don’t think the CFA charter can hurt me…it can only help.

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > 1) Your boss does not like you using it, so you > > hide it > > I never thought of that point, once again, most of > us think with their heads instead of using > “feeling”. I guess it would “hurt” somebody’s > feeling around my office. However, beside that, I > don’t think the CFA charter can hurt me…it can > only help. Actually, I think with my feet sometimes too. My boss did not like me studying for the CFA exam, and that was one of the reasons why I did not like my boss, so eventually I got on my feet and left the firm on a few days’ notice.

Ya my boss didn’t like it either. In fact I was congradulating someone else on the floor for passing who I just met. My boss saw it and said get back to work. Seriously, get back to work… as the person next to me is watching Youtube… At least I’m getting reimbursed for it. Also ya the CFA is hurting me… my social life that is. My new gf is rather jealous of the CFA taking all my time =P

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ws Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > 1) Your boss does not like you using it, so > you > > > hide it > > > > I never thought of that point, once again, most > of > > us think with their heads instead of using > > “feeling”. I guess it would “hurt” somebody’s > > feeling around my office. However, beside that, > I > > don’t think the CFA charter can hurt me…it > can > > only help. > > Actually, I think with my feet sometimes too. My > boss did not like me studying for the CFA exam, > and that was one of the reasons why I did not like > my boss, so eventually I got on my feet and left > the firm on a few days’ notice. LOL!!

My old boss gave me heat for taking it. I worked in trading operations at that time so it was obvious that I was looking to move into a more analytical role.

The CFA definitely negatively impacted my social life. In hindsight, letting that happen was a big mistake – I was pretty much stressed out all the time. I guess at that point in my life (when I was a little younger), I somehow thought that tacking on this exam in addition to my 65 hour work weeks would somehow boost my career meaningfully – it didn’t. And now that I’ve left the public equities field altogether, I’m pretty happy about where I’m at and I definitely don’t want to be spending any more time studying for exams.

Oh, other than professional life? Of course! Like I have shared many times before, during LI, I didn’t set the expecation right with my wife===>almost got a divorce. No life for almost 3 years, eating lunch by myself at work (so I can read); gain weight; can’t even ran 3 miles anymore during those times. Constant explaning to people who is asking “why are your studying for a June exam when it is only Feb?”

Yeah, for me, having peace of mind and a pleasant social life are really important to me. I feel like I’ve been fortunate enough to catch some lucky breaks and also bust my ass for the first few years of my career, and I’m pretty happy with the trajectory I’m on. I can’t say that I regret the last few years, but I am glad they are out of the way and it’s helped me realize that as long as I’m earning a good enough income, that’s fine. I don’t think I need to be earning a million dollars a year to make myself and my family happy (though eventually I would like to, if nothing else just to validate that my hard work over the years had paid off somehow).

You guys are my new best friends. Only other CFA candidates understand. Cheers to us! (Raises a glass)

ws Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Constant explaning to > people who is asking “why are your studying for a > June exam when it is only Feb?” Oh this is such a common problem lol! TheAliMan Wrote: >You guys are my new best friends. Only other CFA candidates understand. Cheers to >us! (Raises a glass) 2nd that!

Well, maybe it does hurt you in terms of personal life when you study, but after it’s done…I can’t imagine how it can hurt. It may save you 2 years and a shitload of money (i.e. giving you opportunities to lateral to a post-MBA position within top-tier firm without doing an MBA, that’s the biggest advantage).

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, for me, having peace of mind and a pleasant > social life are really important to me. I feel > like I’ve been fortunate enough to catch some > lucky breaks and also bust my ass for the first > few years of my career, and I’m pretty happy with > the trajectory I’m on. I can’t say that I regret > the last few years, but I am glad they are out of > the way and it’s helped me realize that as long as > I’m earning a good enough income, that’s fine. I > don’t think I need to be earning a million dollars > a year to make myself and my family happy (though > eventually I would like to, if nothing else just > to validate that my hard work over the years had > paid off somehow). I just hope in a few years I’ll be in a similar position but sometimes it feels like Im looking for a light at an end of tunnel that is 1000kms long

I was actually thinking today while watching Bloomberg and a story on Stanford Financial that the CFA is only going to increase in value. In an era where there is rampant financial corruption (Madoff, Stanford, and many others I’m sure) and mass financial ignorance (everyone that invested with Madoff, Stanford, etc), people who have proven that they have a solid grasp of the financial system and are well-versed in financial ethics will be in high demand. I predict that we’re in for another 3-5 years of recession/depression, but when the smoke clears those with the CFA will reap their rewards.