Headhunter Question

Just a few quick questions regarding my first face-to-face meeting with a headhunter coming up later this week: 1. Is business casual fine? 2. Suggestions on how to deal with handling your business card if you’re still currently employed? 3. Any other good suggestions for a newbie? Thanks

I would wear a suit.

(1) business casual is fine but maybe throw on a tie. whenever possible, i’d show up to a headhunter’s wearing a suit, but sometimes i had to just cut out of work for a short period of time and would just show up in biz casual (2) no problems handing them your business card, but they only really need your resume. i never gave out a card (3) relax, have a good time, be personable and come across as someone that knows EXACTLY what they are looking for

I’ve turned up with dreads in casual attire. I just said I would scrub-up in due course. It gets you a reputation as somewhat confident which is not necessarily a bad thing. At the end of the day if your CV even slightly matches the job spec a headhunter will want to send your CV on.

As someone that has met with countless headhunters in the past, I would say business casual is ok. They just want to screen you first because their clients ask them to, as long as you don’t have a tattoo on your face like tyson you should be ok lol. When you meet with them it’s gonna be like a mini interview, be sure to have a good reason for leaving your job, know what do you want to do in the next job, be able to explain what you have done in previous jobs (skills), speak well, eye contact, etc. They’re trying to see: “uhmm if I send this guy to an interview…will he be able to close” because after all they work on comissions. What headhunter company are you meeting with if you don’t mind me asking?

Okay. Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I’ll have very little time to change into a suit and it looks like business casual is my only option.

EMHdenied, it doesn’t take that long once you get used to it. When I was in my interviewing rampage about a year and a half ago, I could change out of business casual and into my suit in about 3 minutes. Assuming you’re already business casual, all you need to do is to put on a tie, change the trousers and throw on the suit jacket right?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EMHdenied, it doesn’t take that long once you get > used to it. When I was in my interviewing rampage > about a year and a half ago, I could change out of > business casual and into my suit in about 3 > minutes. Assuming you’re already business casual, > all you need to do is to put on a tie, change the > trousers and throw on the suit jacket right? Lol, this reminds me of my Clark Kent like costume switches in restaurants and coffeeshops throughout NYC (no phonebooths)…i’m sure i got some strange looks.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EMHdenied, it doesn’t take that long once you get > used to it. When I was in my interviewing rampage > about a year and a half ago, I could change out of > business casual and into my suit in about 3 > minutes. Assuming you’re already business casual, > all you need to do is to put on a tie, change the > trousers and throw on the suit jacket right? You’re right, numi. It doesn’t take that long. I guess a part of me believes that showing up in business casual signals that I’m confident (as someone mentioned above). Also, since I’m currently working at a hedge fund, I don’t think it takes anything away in terms of the legitimacy of my current job. In fact, it might add.

Did somebody call?

LOL. good one ckent

i wouldn’t go into the meeting without a tuxedo

stokey99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i wouldn’t go into the meeting without a tuxedo no way! DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY HE IS MESSING WITH YOU… a full tuxedo is too much. however, i think one of those shirts with the tuxedo painted on it would be more appropriate,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUXOtCOnS4s very very good interviewing tips here…notice the attire