Headhunters

in using a large number of headhunters, do you think that the benefits outweigh the risks? benefits: - they swarm the market with your resume - they help you construct your resume better - they are free for you - you have more resources working for you - approach saturation for qualified positions (respective) risks: - your resume may end up at the same firm 2 or more times - they may change certain things in your resume without your consent that may hurt you (PDE gets replaced by PDF) - they are expensive for prospective employers - you get headhunters that interfere with the effectiveness of each other, making the whole potentially less than the sum of the parts - oversaturation of the markets i’m sure there are a few other benefits and risks that people can share…but these seem to be the immediately obvious ones for me.

Headhunters suck for the most part, but I am nice to them just in the small small chance they have a gem that arises.

It’s tricky finding good stuff on your own if you have a thin network. Between work and studying its hard to find the time to search through all the junk online. I had 2 headhunters send my resume to the same place. It didn’t really make a difference for me, I got the job, but one of the headhunters got screwed out of his comission. My boss said it happens all the time and it’s no big deal to him.

what were the response times you’ve experienced from submission/application at a headhunter to a reply? not a scientific poll, but good to have some data points and to have some sort of expectation at least. i just got dinged today from a top and very famous quant shop, but not surprised at all - my only response so far.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what were the response times you’ve experienced > from submission/application at a headhunter to a > reply? not a scientific poll, but good to have > some data points and to have some sort of > expectation at least. > > i just got dinged today from a top and very famous > quant shop, but not surprised at all - my only > response so far. Like five months the longest. But I also have heard the deep silence from many others, lol.

Recommendation on how to find a headhunter who will actually help me?

You don’t find a headhunter, they will find you. So post your profile on LinkedIn with as many keywords as possible and having your profile visible by many people

i feel headhunters rarely deal with entry-level hires who are typically recruited through the companies’ in-house recruiting team. headhunters are typically interested in placing people with some experience, or possibly highly skilled new graduates with narrow specialization, like PhD’s with quant interest. sub, you fall in the second cathegory :slight_smile: talk to dominic

yeah, i do fall into that second specialization, i will consider sending him my resume. he seems like a C++ nazi though, which is probably good for all parties involved.

hmm yeah he seems to be but i thought you were into algo trading. you plan on doing it with pencil and paper, like a BAWS?

algo trading can run off of C, Java, C# and also rely heavily on programming in MatLab, Python, SQL, Perl also thats why i said it is good for all parties involved: - he gets a bigger chance of making a commission - applicant gets a bigger chance of getting the job and succeeding - employer gets a good worker also, algo is my first place choice since it best matches my programming, math, and science, but i am not deadset on it. beggers can’t be choosers in this job market.

@sub: where are you located? I would love to have a private conversation with you. If interested hit me at egal(AT)icu.uzh.ch

egal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @sub: where are you located? I would love to have > a private conversation with you. If interested hit > me at egal(AT)icu.uzh.ch Get your coat sublimity. You’ve pulled.

Are you interested in Down Under?

@ JOE2010 thanks buddy, but I would like to stay in the states and am most especially keen on the NYC or Stamford/Greenwich area…but if i get very desperate, maybe Chicago, Boston, or west coast. only one week into the job hunt but constantly am thinking to myself “i am so freaking screwed” continuously since time is ticking down during my last semester in school and i will start getting destroyed by off/on 10+ years of student loans 6 months after i graduate. @ egal sent.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > - they swarm the market with your resume Wishful thinking post-2008.

how old are you sub

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > - they swarm the market with your resume > > Wishful thinking post-2008. what i mean is that they indiscriminantly carpet bomb all remotely suitable positions in order to increase their chances at making that huge commission, even if this may hurt you. @ cfagoal2 late 20s, younger than your mother, that’s for sure. ; )

no way you are late 20s, you are probably 21 22 college kid?

cfagoal2 – sub is finishing his PhD. sublimity – one week is too early to start the panic. Wait until mid March at the earliest.