Hear This!

THE main thing is why did i start in researh? Because I want to help Charities make good returns and not get cheated. TODAY if someone donates $10 to a charity how much does the ultimate beneficiary see? take a guess ~ 15% !!! SO I dont know whether I will ever have enough money to donate or … SO i thought the best thing to do is to work as SS analyst and then as PM and then help the charities manage their funds -this way i can be expert and have network that i can use to lower costs etc - this is my goal in life -

BBD, In my opionion, this is not the right way to help charities. The problem with many charities is not with the amount of money they have for spending, but how they spend it. I’ve heard that, for example, a guy who collects charitable donations on the street keeps 50% (legally) of the donations. Then the administrators take their big fat share off the remaining 50%, then they buy the most expensive American products from their “friends” to ship long distance, say, to Africa. So what actually goes to the beneficiary could be just a couple %. The more money you make in investing their portfolios, they more money these greedy people keep, or waste - it’s not their money. A better way would be make more money yourself, then donate money to the needy people directly, or, form a charitable organization which is mean and lean. Also, in my experience, there is usually no right or wrong bosses. It is a matter of “matching”. How do you think he got to where he is right now, if he is a total idiot and asshole? If he doesn’t know how to make use of your, and others’, talents, he won’t be hanging in there for long, not in the “money” business. Managers are usually not judged by how much they know or do, but how much their people do. I am speaking as a manager myself. So if he really is an idiot, then all you need to do is lay low for a while, and someone else will take care of him. Otherwise, it would be better to switch department. And whow knows, your boss may be replaced later, and you can try to switch back.

3weeks: I hear you and know of the issue about spending. We gotta start somewhere. I reckon start at the point I can make the most difference and slowly address the remaining issues. Guess what I am thinking is that once i have a relationship going with the charity, can start to comment about the spending. Also, I do want to form a charitable organisation myself, someday… Also agree on the matching, been a manager myself, one thing i say is that some managers are ‘people’ persons and others are not - ie dont know how to work with people and overcome their own securities - eg I was recently head of IT risk, a field I knew little off and supervised a team of ~20 folks, and judging from the gifts and emails i got on leaving the position, I reckon i was a good peoples person, although i knew little of the field i never hid the fact and never hogged credit, i was however good at managing time and assignments…my current manager is not really a peoples person, he is definately very astute but not ‘gutsy enough’ guess you what i mean…

it’s like depression on crack

get off the high horse, learn your place, suck it up, and use this experience to be a better boss when it’s your turn. seriously, man, i don’t think you handled this very well.

jesternyc: how would you feel if a top rated analyst (not your boss) reckons your work is good, if on top of that your forecasts are in line with the results and to top that, you have got an angle (divestiture of a non core business), that the company eventualy admits sure we all have faults and i have mine, only thing is the price i paid, is in my view, not justified…

“I got CFA 3/3 and I am already MBA, CPA…Been around the block with jobs in Finance, IT, Risk” I think that says it all - it’s obnoxious. Perhaps you should work on your social skills. Lots of us are well-accomplished - when you realize that perhaps you can progress in your career.

BBD Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jesternyc: how would you feel if a top rated > analyst (not your boss) reckons your work is good, > if on top of that your forecasts are in line with > the results and to top that, you have got an angle > (divestiture of a non core business), that the > company eventualy admits > > sure we all have faults and i have mine, only > thing is the price i paid, is in my view, not > justified… Yes but you need to change analyst with manager. My friend thinks my work is good but my manager thinks its crap is what you really need to write

> Yes but you need to change analyst with manager. > My friend thinks my work is good but my manager > thinks its crap is what you really need to write PtrainerNY, Thank you. In one short sentence you clarified what it took 48 posts to explain. BBD, you’re writing is really hard to understand and would expect better from a MBA/CFA. Perhaps this is one of the reasons you are having difficulty at your work.

jesternyc: I think that says it all - it’s obnoxious. Perhaps you should work on your social skills. Lots of us are well-accomplished - when you realize that perhaps you can progress in your career. yes, there is always room to improve…for what its worth, i did not announce my qualif to my colleagues (some still dont know) …i put it on the post because of the nature of the forum (guys generally tend to ask) i wanted to share something with you. When i joined there was only one office left, i was directed to it by the PA and I did not know any better. It turned out to be one of the bigger offices. Later I found out my boss was pissed off about me getting the office - yet there was no other office! secondly, when my business cards were getting printed, i used the exact description on my employment contract " Senior Analyst" later I found out that it had irritated my boss - yet i just put what was on the contract! how does one win these… Then a couple of the associates found me approachable and started to ask questions on accounting/valuation, and i started to help them, sometimes staying late in the office to accomodate their requests - later i found out my boss did not like that i was getting ’ attention’ - yet all i was doing was helping out the guys or discussing the merits/demerits of a technique or method… although it might sound

Can we get a grammar editor on this thread? It’s like a big run-on sentence. And seriously, if you’re working so hard on all these analyst reports, you wouldn’t be writing on this thread 50 times a day.

you need to butter your boss up. lots of us have worked with insecure and/or threatened bosses - it’s not fun. if you work for one of those, and if you’re REALLY smart, you’ll know how to manage them to advance in your career - ie, show humility, offer him the bigger office before taking it, ask him “what should I put on my card - does senior analyst sound ok” etc. Read “How to Win Friends and Influence People” - classic business book on how to manage just about anyone.

if this job is so bad, why don’t you just leave? i mean, given your qualifications, you should be able to get a job at GS right? what is there to fight over? you can’t win this fight from what I’m hearing. i say you should just leave and move on.

jesternyc: i am buying that book today!

Good to hear! I’ve learned over time that career progression is 90% politics and 10% raw intelligence.

There are two sides to every story, what I cannot see is your boss’ viewpoint. Perhaps there is a grain of truth in his reaction to you? The smartest people I know are those who hide their intellegence and ally with the people who they need to achieve their goals by aligning with their needs. You are going around your boss right and left, forward and backwards, that alone would make him an enemy. Remember he’s inherited you from someone else. You are actively considering destroying his reputation; in his position he has no other choice but to sabotage you. Plus, given all your solicitation of ‘help’ from others at your level, you are also creating dissention. And remember, at this point you have very little, or no, power. Furthermore, remember that the actions of others are as much driven by how you condition them as by their own intent. By your frequent mentions of apologies, you are letting him know he can abuse you. Yet you stay in this situation? Your decisions are creating your life for you. You are 100% responsible for your current situation, no matter if someone went to Russia or not. You either find a way to cooperate with your manager–no more goign behind anyones back, above, beside or below him. No more trying to trick, or outshine your manager. Find out what he wants from you specifically–and do it. Or, if you cannot, leave. I am sure there is a lot of truth in your telling of the situation, but remember–you created it, and your actions are largely responsible for how you are being treated. Also, reading “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is a good idea. I’m glad to hear you intend to do that. Good luck. I would also stop posting here. You are just amplifying your emotions now, what you need to do is act in a rational, principled way, neither accepting bad treatment, nor violating the loyalty you should have for your manager. If you post again, it should be “how I figured out I could get along” or “I left for a better situation” J.

J: i think your post is a home run. Sure there is some truth in the other side of the story. I dont know anyone who is pure as driven snow. I like your assertive nature and that means I subscribe to it too. Actually, I enjoy the whole situation because I learn a lot from it. While its not a great spot to be in, it is a steep learning curve, not about the work but about wining as a underdog. You dont know the ‘power’ you have till you have till you are fighting for survival. Reason why i wrote this note, just as you said “the actions of others are as much driven by how you condition them” in other words, this message board is an experiment - no harm no cost but a survey of reaction. You are one of the persons with a rational reaction - a number of others were, lets say " irrational exhuberance’. I think you understand what it is I am implying. Take care, and thanks for your input.

well, maybe this post is meant to end now… but still wanna say sth to you- if you are such integlligent guy(MBA,CPA,CFA), instead of waiting your time figuring out the politics, why not creat your own business, e.g. consulting, financial advisory or IT business? I’ve seen smart guys with entrepreneur mindset giving up the high-pay job to start their own businesses and they are very successful now. You save your energy on office politics/frustration/headache if you are your own boss… just a food for thoughts.

well, maybe this post is meant to end now… but still wanna say sth to you- if you are such integlligent guy(MBA,CPA,CFA), instead of wasting your time figuring out the politics, why not creat your own business, e.g. consulting, financial advisory or IT business? I’ve seen smart guys with entrepreneur mindset giving up the high-pay job to start their own businesses and they are very successful now. You save your energy on office politics/frustration/headache if you are your own boss… just a food for thoughts.

i agree this post should end now. Just wrt to your suggestion - i did start my own consulting firm 5 years ago - it was niche consulting to provide ideas on SPV creation. as i wanted to boost the technical know how i got a lawyer and economist friend to join me. None of us had the capital so we decided one of us would leave their job till we get some decent work on the table and till then the other two would support him. so i went out and got some work on the table but we still had the issue of capital so we solved it another way - we spoke to the CEO of one of clients to take an equity stake in our business and we would guarantee it with the work we had agreed to do for him - i.e. instead of paying for our services he would take an equity stake in the firm. He thought it was brilliant and we were all on top of the world. This was towards christmas in 2001. We all parted for holidays on that happy note and when we returned, we found out that the CEO had reneged on the contract - over the holiday season he had taken our concept and started his own company. The spirit died then. My friends became discouraged and I was left alone. Sometimes I think I should have pursued it harder -