Hedge Fund Manger to Pizza Delivery Man....

Anyone catch that story on 20/20 last night? It was a little sensationalistic. The dude definitely lived way above his risk level, and needs to take care of his family. But give me a break, he could find another job besides pizza delivery… http://abcnews.go.com/2020

This guy? http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12582289&ch=4226720&src=news

He is probably delivering in his BMW in order to be out late at night when the Repo man is lurking.

Hasn’t payed his mortgage for two years!!! This guy couldn’t find another job anywhere during his two year job search? Give me a f’n break…

i have respect for the guy now (not what he did before as in not saving, which is stupid) there is dignity to any job, as long as you’re earning your living and pulling your own weight

yeah. Guess all that hedge fund experience, an MBA from UCLA, and $20 will get you these days is a large pepperoni pizza. this is why CFA is better than MBA

While I was watching this I was thinking the same as brianr…this dude looks like a slacker who has been getting by on education credentials, being in the right job at the right time, etc. They were clearly living a lifestyle that required a constant high level of income to maintain…his wife said she is sticking by him, but she is clearly losing patience…I predict she dumps him ASAP…

gaffano Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > While I was watching this I was thinking the same > as brianr…this dude looks like a slacker who > has been getting by on education credentials, > being in the right job at the right time, etc. > They were clearly living a lifestyle that required > a constant high level of income to > maintain…his wife said she is sticking by him, > but she is clearly losing patience…I predict she > dumps him ASAP… I also got the impression that he was unwilling to relocate his family from the nice home, country club lifestyle, kid’s schools… etc. You would think this guy would have zero problem finding a management position in a smallish company somewhere. And yes, his wife should drop him like a bad habit… then again she doesn’t seem to have any ambition to find a job to bailout her family. They may be perfect for one another.

I dont feel for this guy. Anyone can get an MBA. MBAs are dime a dozen. I am an MBA.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont feel for this guy. Anyone can get an MBA. > MBAs are dime a dozen. I am an MBA. You sir are a born salesman. My question is who was paying this guy $750k a year. They made seem like his hedgefund crashed on takeoff so I doubt he was banking anything from that. You would think he would have some contacts to work.

I think he probably was a good salesguy and pulled in a good salary while times were good at his company. Then he funded his own hedge fund stategy and lost his ass. I agree, his inability to find any other employment is suspect.

gaffano Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > While I was watching this I was thinking the same > as brianr…this dude looks like a slacker who > has been getting by on education credentials, > being in the right job at the right time, etc. a slacker is someone who stays home collecting welfare checks, not someone busting his ass making $7.20 an hour. Kudos to him for putting his ego aside.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > gaffano Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > While I was watching this I was thinking the > same > > as brianr…this dude looks like a slacker > who > > has been getting by on education credentials, > > being in the right job at the right time, etc. > > a slacker is someone who stays home collecting > welfare checks, not someone busting his ass making > $7.20 an hour. Kudos to him for putting his ego > aside. Ummm no…the impression i got was that the Missus said, get a friggin gig or get the F out of this house. i think thats why he went to get that pizza job. also, the fact that someone is anaonymously paying the kids’ tuition is highly suspect. i am sure he and his wife are playing the system some way.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > gaffano Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > While I was watching this I was thinking the > same > > as brianr…this dude looks like a slacker > who > > has been getting by on education credentials, > > being in the right job at the right time, etc. > > a slacker is someone who stays home collecting > welfare checks, not someone busting his ass making > $7.20 an hour. Kudos to him for putting his ego > aside. Busting his ass? Dude is delivering pizzas not digging ditches. If he is so motivated why did he not start doing something two years ago. I’m sure there were plenty of lower level positions in 2007.

To market this story with a tone as a typical “what happens to a hedge fund guy” these days is a little too much. Nothing shameful with delivering pizza and supporting his family. But like brianr said, he (or more likely his wife) has been unwilling to down-grade their lifestyle for 2 years. Does anyone honestly think it is so bad out there you can only get a pizza delivery gig??? I was wondering why they would agree to embarrass themselves on TV…but I guess they got paid.

I hate to say this but sales people don’t generally make good hedge fund managers. I worked on a sales desk before and most of those people could sell ice to an eskimo but couldn’t otherwise tell their head from their @ss.

Here’s the full video :frowning: http://fep.abc.go.com/fep/player?src=abccomjs&show=166626&pn=index&showId=166626

I “googled” him and he used to be an Institutional Sales guy at Raymond James. I didn’t know that the sales guys made so much.

I just got a Twitter from this dude…apparently he decided to take the NYC MTA train operators exam…

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hate to say this but sales people don’t > generally make good hedge fund managers. I worked > on a sales desk before and most of those people > could sell ice to an eskimo but couldn’t otherwise > tell their head from their @ss. +1