Help a Newbie Out!!

Hey Guys, First of all great site!! I am contemplating on taking the level I exam June 09’ instead of Dec 09’. But have not cracked a book, signed up, or even bought any study material. My plan is to order materials study my @ss off and see how I feel before the registration deadline of March 16. Where do I start? Who has the best study material? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Well Gordon, first let me say that blue horse shoe loves anacot steel. Besides that my advice would be to read the CFA1 texts, supplement with notes from schweser/stalla/other and depending on your background allow yourself 200-300+ hours to finish with atleast 4 weeks to prior to the test date to grind through qbank and sample tests.

jjenkins, haha Thanks for the response… I assume I can not purchase the CFA1 texts without registering for the exam first correct?

_Gekko_ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jjenkins, > haha Thanks for the response… I assume I can > not purchase the CFA1 texts without registering > for the exam first correct? _Gekko_, as far as I know this is correct. You could in theory purchase the older ones from someone who took the exam in 2008. I used Schweser exclusively to prepare for Level 1 and never opened the CFAI texts. I have gone with Stalla for Level 2 but both are very good. You might consider registering now, creating your study plan, and taking the plunge. This will commit you early on to the exam. If you try to play it by ear and wait to sign up it’ll be much easier to find a reason not to end up taking it. Also you have plenty of time to prepare for the June 2009 exam.

Well, i would say time is running out… do one thing…buy stalla/schweser for 2009 (whether u give in June or Dec 09, its the same material) and start preparation with full commitment and then you can judge yourself after a month whether u can register for June or Dec… if you end up planning for Dec 09…register soon too…so then u finally commit yourself and dont postpone it further just my 2 cents…

Plenty of people will begin later this month and pass. Buy Schweser or Stalla $600-1000 and study from that material. I snaked by doing just this like many other AFers. While the exam is hard, it is just an exam. It is not as hyped up as one may believe by trolling these message boards.

Thanks for all the responses… I didn’t realize how expensive the study material was!! I saw there are a couple of different packages available through Schweser, do I really need the “premium package”? I was thinking Schweser notes (5 books), Qbank, and CD? Thanks!

_Gekko_ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for all the responses… I didn’t realize > how expensive the study material was!! I saw there > are a couple of different packages available > through Schweser, do I really need the “premium > package”? I was thinking Schweser notes (5 > books), Qbank, and CD? > > Thanks! The ~$600 Schweser one will work just fine.