Help, Seriously

I need some serious career advice I want to be an equity analyst. I have been searching for a job for 5 months. I was offered a job as a wealth management analyst (recruiting/analyzing mutual funds). I have to let them know by tomorrow. I had a phone interview today with Morningstar for an equity analyst position. They have over 100 possible candidates. Should I pass up the WM analyst position for the possibility of an equity analyst for morningstar??? Please help. I am usually a good decision maker, but cannot figure this one out. I would like the adivce of an already equity analyst.

It looks simple enough to me. Had it been my choice, I’d gone with the WM job.

on what basis?

Take the job. Then go for the interview. Win-win.

what are the ethics on that? Seems questionable. I don’t really want to screw over the potential employer

You want into this industry? Take the job. The Morningstar job won’t be that great anyway.

This seems like an obvious choice. Why gamble away something you have in the bag for a job for which you’ve only had a phone interview? Chrismaths is right, take this job and continue the interview process. Don’t worry about burning bridges when you have yet to even cross it.

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You want into this industry? Take the job. The > Morningstar job won’t be that great anyway. agreed 100% with HSA

lxada269 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > on what basis? Well, for one thing you’re being offered the WM job, analyzing mutual funds. You’re not yet being offered the equity analyst job, only competing with some 100 other candidates. Besides, you’ve been searching for a job for 5 months, which is quite a long time in my eyes. There are lots of mutual funds around, you may take up a job with one of them eventually.

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This seems like an obvious choice. Why gamble > away something you have in the bag for a job for > which you’ve only had a phone interview? > Chrismaths is right, take this job and continue > the interview process. Don’t worry about burning > bridges when you have yet to even cross it. ^ Nonetheless this is still burning bridges- I don’t agree with this advice^. I wouldn’t take the WM job and then continue interviewing somewhere else. I know exactly what you’re going through. I was faced with a very similar dilema last month where I had to turn down an IB job (offering 25% more than I currently make in FIR) for an opportunity to interview for a banking program in my company. While the IB job prob would have been great experience, the training program was something I was very passionate about getting into. Turning down the first offer was really hard, but toughened me up mentaly going into the program interview a few weeks later. I went into that interview extra prepared and with the attitude that I would not be turned down. If you don’t get the ER job there will be plenty others.

Take the WM job and proceed w/ Morningstar. Just don’t start immediately at the WM firm and politely imply to Morningstar that you have another offer on the table (they need to speed up the process) but you really want to work with them as an Eq analyst. You’re worried about ethics? You’re doing nothing wrong here. You’ve been searching for five months, don’t be ridiculous.