Help... took Level I 8 yrs ago...

Hi all, I took and passed Level I eight years ago. However, I had to put Level II on hold and I’m just now starting back up. I registered to take Level II in Jun 2009… but I don’t know where to start… so many changes in eight years. Will it be impossible to take and pass Level II with so much time passing since level I? What combitnation of study materials and CFA books work best? Has anyone else taken a long time off between tests? Are there any helpful website I should be aware of? Any words of advice/encouragement… thanks,

Will it be impossible to take and pass Level II with so much time passing since level I? No What combitnation of study materials and CFA books work best? I used Schweser and CFAI texts to fill in gaps Has anyone else taken a long time off between tests? i am sure they have Are there any helpful website I should be aware of? This one Any words of advice/encouragement… Study your ass off and give it your best. In the end, whether you fail or pass, you learn a lot.

I’d recommend getting a used copy of the Level I Secret Sauce as a refresher because some of Level II assumes you know the basics of Level I.

it all depends on your background and commitment. If you are in the securities business, or have a background in finance, accounting, or something like that…and you are willing to put in the time…then you have a great chance to pass. My recommendation is to read the ethics manual tomorrow, get schweser and CFAI books and go through them once before Christmas, take a little time off and re-read ethics…then hit the books hard starting in late january/early feb and pass on june 6th. good luck, and don’t burn yourself out…slow and steady wins the race.

i have you beaten soundly in time between level 1 and level 2… 8 years is nothing!!! depending on your background, of course… but i would just pound schweser and get a really early start… i just passed level 2 after a monumental break. i’m wondering what the record is, but there must be quite a few that have done early 20’s to late 30’s (and perhaps way beyond) tell me about your background… i’d be happy to exchange emails. loath to post it here. FWIW, i don’t think have industry experience helps that much… well, i guess a better way to put it would be that it helps and hinders (seen huge amounts of ethics and regulation already, and tons isn’t consistent with CFA)

I’m in the industry, but not in an analyst/pm capacity… have been in the field for about 10 years. how long was your break? it’s encouraging you passed level II… was that your first attempt since your break?

my gap was 14 years. i was a top student before and have a general interest in all this stuff. depends on your background etc., but i really did find that the exam was pretty independent of level 1. not so much went way beyond, more like went around (like nothing about type 1 and type 2 errors)… are you quite confident analytically? how much time do you have? wife/family? i found schweser was good for almost everything… maybe hit up cfai for ethics and for reference. cfai ridiculously horrible for derivatives… but TONS of schweser

BTW, would have helped a little bit to have done level 1 the day before… a little… like i said, i don’t see tons of industry experience as an advantage. confuses more than anything, maybe.

14 years, impressive… i feel better about my situation knowing someone else has done it. i have the usually challenges… job, wife, young kids. just gotta fit the time in somehow.

BayArea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 14 years, impressive… i feel better about my > situation knowing someone else has done it. > > i have the usually challenges… job, wife, young > kids. just gotta fit the time in somehow. Give it a shot. There are no guarantees with this, but you’ll be proud of the effort - if not the score - this time next year. Someone up there suggested getting Schweser’s secret sauce for L1. That’s wise. I’d get an early start (Nov) just to work up a game plan, get famliar with the topics, and tackle any remedial work. You might have to do some backtracking in FSA if accounting isn’t your thing. Do a search on AF for different methods. People aren’t shy about saying what works and what doesn’t.