HF Investor Relations

How do investor Relations of a hedge fund compare to a large asset management firm? I know both deal with the public and outside clients but is HF IR more specialized? Thank you all in advance!

I guess I don’t know much about investor relations at a large asset firm, but in a HF there are lots of people who demand individual stuff. You get to have conversations like: IR Person: Joey, an important customer wants [custom risk reports, custom position reports, special risk assessment, P/L breakdowns, etc]. Can you get that to me? Joey: No IR Person: It’s really important Joey: Bite Me Boss: Hello IR Person: An important customer wants [custom risk reports, custom position reports, special risk assessment, P/L breakdowns, etc]. Joey won’t do it. Boss: I hate this. I’ll handle it.

First, I’d say your audience is different for a start HF IR - institutions e.g. endowments, FOHF, pensions etc maybe some HNWIs Large AM firm - mainly private clients, retail As such you will likely be less inundated with requests, but you will probably get materially deeper questions. If you are the lead IR person, you will often have to be able to talk the general markets as well as the PM. Institutions typically know the markets better (but not always). Second, you will likely talk your HF strategy rather than about the long only nature of most AM firms. Your client will likely understand things such as relative value trading strats such as CB arb/FI arb/vol arb etc. Or the difference between different types of long short investing managers.

"If you are the lead IR person, " then you wouldn’t be asking this question on AF

HF IR people are just there to show people that they aren’t important enough any more to speak to the HF manager.

"If you are the lead IR person, " then you wouldn’t be asking this question on AF The OP could eventually become the lead IR person. And the best HF IR people know their stuff - quite a few have CFA on their biz cards and have had a decent track records in the markets but dont need the day to day stress.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > First, I’d say your audience is different for a > start > > HF IR - institutions e.g. endowments, FOHF, > pensions etc maybe some HNWIs > Large AM firm - mainly private clients, retail Not really. I’ve been working in IR for the past three years in large AM firms and all our clients are institutional. I’m moving to Russia next month to do IR for a PE firm. Yes, a large part of the value add is being an effective buffer for the investment manager and being perceived as a competent investment professional by clients, so you can handle most of their requests and questions. An IR person for a hedge fund and PE firm will often be heavily involved in the fund raising process.