Hiring freeze at Merrill

WASHINGTON, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Merrill Lynch & Co Inc, (MER.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) reeling from billions of dollars of writedowns, has frozen hiring until year end, according to a memo sent to employees. The company said it will not replace employees that have left, nor will it hire for positions that were previously budgeted for. The freeze does not apply to retail brokers, who numbered 16,690 at the end of the second quarter.

Not surprising. We have a hiring freeze as well. . . we can’t leave either.

Not surprising at all. I truly feel bad for the class of 2008 seeking quality finance jobs. These are going to be few and far between for several years IMHO.

Nice…I just finished filling out an application for them. Oh well.

Who would want to work for such an arrogant firm anyways?

I had a friend that met with a VP from ML in Atlanta about two months ago for a job and he told him this freeze was going to happen and that in the kindest way he should just put ML in his rear view mirror. I was in the middle of applying to ML when he told me that,and I noticed their website didn’t even have an option for recent grads a month ago. Just summer internships and MBA positions.

I applied to a FT analyst position yesterday, intended for a rising senior/ recent grad, Chuck.

The mood is pretty bad at the moment as everyone is potentially under the threat of being out of the door.

Does anyone know any status at Goldman as to hiring? I’m wondering if the Auction rate security mess with their large private client base is going to force them to cut back. I’m waiting with trepidation for an offer.

Cat Fanciers’ Association LOL! Best name I have seen on AF… gotta love typing CFA into Google!

Actually, there was a thread about the CFA googling results. Cat Fanciers’ Association was one of them. I remember we all had a good laugh about it… Cheers

Yeah I always wondered if any women I met where I didn’t care to explain the program went back and googled CFA just to see what I was talking about and came to the conclusion I was some huge cat lover and studying for some feline certification.

NakedPuts was a nice name too.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I had a friend that met with a VP from ML in > Atlanta about two months ago for a job and he told > him this freeze was going to happen and that in > the kindest way he should just put ML in his rear > view mirror. I was in the middle of applying to > ML when he told me that,and I noticed their > website didn’t even have an option for recent > grads a month ago. Just summer internships and > MBA positions. what non-advisor (and related) posistions does merrill have in atlanta?

I can’t believe they were hiring up to this point!?

Naked PUTZ woulda been funny too…