Hiring Someone in Japan

Anyone have experience with this? How did you do it? I have a very specific candidate in mind, and it’s proving difficult to find someone. Candidate needs to be fluent in Japanese and English, be located in Japan, and have analytical experience. I’ve tried the usual avenues: - Recruiter - Major educational institutions (career centers) - Friends of friends, professional networks, etc. - Postings on two job boards I’m out of ideas. Thoughts? Thanks.

I can help on this Bromion, hit me up

deleted

I’ve always wanted to learn Japanese. But it’s on hold, while I donate my life to CFAI books.

@bromion: Have you tried linkedin for universities? I went to Sophia (considered among the top 3 schools) and get updates from people looking for jobs all the time. @iteracom: Very hard to do if you don’t end up living there at some point. What’s worse, you loose quite a lot of your reading abilities once you leave…

Come on JDV, surely you have done something like this before? You’ve done every other thing in finance (apparently).

I’m in Tokyo, guess the best way would be to snatch someone from a foreign bank as in Japanese companies lots of people don’t speak English. It does depend on what kind of experience you are looking for. Did you try Walters/ Page? Also, a website I got a couple of internships from is www.careerforum.net , it’s for Japanese and English bilinguals. You could try there. Imho you’re having a hard time because there aren’t so many foreigners here, and the Japanese don’t switch shops as often. I could ask around, not sure if I can be of any help though. You could try in Singapore too, lots of Japanese speakers there, not sure how willing they would be to relocate. Edit: Sophia is not top three btw.

second the careerforum.net, they do recruiting in Boston I think in November and gaijinpot websites

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve always wanted to learn Japanese. But it’s on > hold, while I donate my life to CFAI books. useless language and difficult to pick up. learn Mandarin

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @bromion: Have you tried linkedin for > universities? I went to Sophia (considered among > the top 3 schools) and get updates from people > looking for jobs all the time. > behind Tokyo University and Waseda? GTFO

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’ve always wanted to learn Japanese. But it’s > on > > hold, while I donate my life to CFAI books. > > > useless language and difficult to pick up. learn > Mandarin I already speak fluent Mandarin

I have a buddy that just moved back to Japan (white guy from TO) that’s perfectly fluent…I think he got his MBA there years ago and stayed afterward. Last I heard he was talking to reuters about getting a job, but I could see if he’s interested…where is it posted? Tokyo?

Don’t hire someone from there. I hear they are all immoral cheaters.

The general opinion is that Tokyo University (Todai), Keio, Waseda and Hitotsubashi are the top universities for finance recruiting. Sophia is great for International Relations, I’ve heard (don’t know for sure) that in Japan the IMF recruits a lot of students from Sophia. For experienced hires, unless you’re trying to change industries/departments, the university becomes less relevant imo. I suggested Page/Walters because they usually handle people with at least 5 years of experience - that’s the hearsay for Japan at least - so they could have what bromion is looking for. careerforum.net rocks, helped me a lot with internships & stuff, and the Boston job fair is the biggest they organize; there are two in Tokyo as well, June/July and December

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t hire someone from there. I hear they are > all immoral cheaters. LOL They do cheat on their spouses a lot, not sure about the… business side of things Btw, what kind of ‘very specific candidate’ are we talking about? I do know a few people who are looking for a change, but it depends on what you are looking for.

Andreea_Mn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in Tokyo, guess the best way would be to > snatch someone from a foreign bank as in Japanese > companies lots of people don’t speak English. It > does depend on what kind of experience you are > looking for. Yes, this is really hard to do apparently. I am open to various types of experience – M&A, research, corporate operating experience. I basically need someone who can read financial statements and business documents in Japanese. I will teach them the rest. If they understand modeling, etc. that’s a plus but not required. > Did you try Walters/ Page? No, I spoke to Page but ended up going with a different recuiter. > Also, a website I got a couple of internships from > is www.careerforum.net , it’s for Japanese and > English bilinguals. You could try there. I tried this but did not have much luck. I got a lot of hits but most people were not even remotely qualified. My posting is expired now, maybe I should repost. > I could ask around, not sure if I can be of any > help though. If you happen to know someone who is available for a (relatively) immediate start, speaks both languages fluently, and has good analytical experience, that would be great. I don’t care where they went to school or whether they have CFA / MBA as long as they have skills. I also do not care where they are located in Japan as long as they are willing to travel (domestically and internationally). Thanks. I am thinking about going to the Tokyo CFN job fair in late December if I can’t find anyone sooner – is this going to be worthwhile? I don’t speak any Japanese, but am hoping to meet some good candidates.

Andreea_Mn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Btw, what kind of ‘very specific candidate’ are we > talking about? I do know a few people who are > looking for a change, but it depends on what you > are looking for. Let’s talk offline, I don’t want to post this around too much for the sake of my employer. Please email me at bromion15@gmail.com. Thanks.

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFABLACKBELT Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > @bromion: Have you tried linkedin for > > universities? I went to Sophia (considered > among > > the top 3 schools) and get updates from people > > looking for jobs all the time. > > > > behind Tokyo University and Waseda? GTFO I was told Sophia was among top 3 not including Tokyo Univ.

also, check the job section of the B’berg terminal, tons of positions posted based in Japan and there are several recruiters that post through the section. I would get in touch with them. Bromion, I’ll hit you later because I might be able to shed some light on this.