Honest Opinion Needed

Hi! Hope you are all doing fine. I need honest opinions. I am doing a masters in quantitative finance from the university of london and i am 30 years of age. I am also getting an accounting certification till I am 33. Is it too old for me to get an entry level job as a financial analyst or in investment banking?

I have two years work experience as a financial manager of a small company.

What is it exactly that you want to do in Investments?

1 Like

In my perspective, it’s never too old to work in the field that you aspire. However, it is also worth thinking about why you want that career, and what’s your 5-10 years plan. Also, is getting an accounting certification a part-time thing or full time? Try to make it a part time thing if possible, that will give you more work experience on the belt.

He is too old. Too old to begin the training.

1 Like

In all seriousness and honesty…
Yes, at 30, you’re going to have some serious age bias. When I was your age, I was going through something similar with applying at Big 4 auditing firms. They wouldn’t even look at my resume.

Right wrong or indifferent, these “ivory tower” folks have an ideal candidate in mind. (I’m speaking about Big 4 Audit, but I’m sure PIMCO and Goldman Sachs are similar.) BBA in accounting with the 5th-year option to be CPA ready, 23 years old, not married, no kids (because married with kids means that you won’t want to work the 75 hour work weeks), finished a semester-long internship, etc.

If you’re 30, then you probably have less energy and desire to work 75 hour work weeks. Plus, since you’re doing this in your 30’s (instead of at 21), then they probably feel like you’re not “one of the elite”, or have some lack of motivation, discipline or desire to be what they want you to be. (It’s a lot easier to brainwash a 21 year old than a 30 year old.)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think you’re going to get what you want. That said, I went a different path than Big 4 Audit, and I’m extremely happy now. I make pretty good coin, have good work-life balance, love what I do, and I get to set my own schedule. (Plus, I don’t have to deal with any 23-year old turds telling me I’m an old man or that I have to “do my time”. Trust me–you don’t want to deal with those children.)

Molly is a girl’s name

you seem to have 4 different career paths
(i) quant masters
(ii) taking accountancy exams for the next 3 years
(iii) financial analyst
(iv) investment banking

pick one

So’s Sue. But there was that Johnny Cash song:

This is a good joke!!

Yea, that audit thing is true. I gained a couple of years work experience in my home country before I chose to study overseas and settle in the new country. So by the time I joined the accounting firm and worked in audit, I was like 25. I was at my late 20s and it felt bitter to be a junior for a early 20 something. I had my own obligation and everything, so it was a struggle for me to work in the public accounting firm with all those long hours. Luckily I got my CPA designation and peace out…

Tell us your secret greenie. Did this special privilege involve peanut butter in any way?

I’d much rather hire a 30 year old with no experience than a 24 year old. Twenty-somethings are so damn annoying. When did coke make a comeback, btw? Frickin degens.

Will (s)he finish what (s)he begins?

hasnt coke always been around? i felt like this â– â– â– â–  happened at every club.

Thank you. I was starting to get worried about the quality of the posters in WC.

1 Like

My 5 cents: just got employed with 1st level CFA completed as an equity analyst.
It took a few years of applications, but once you have trained yourself - it shouldn’t be a problem.

Persistence is key here.

It wouldn’t be a problem for you to get a decent level job in investment banking or as a financial analyst. Your prior experience, plus the finance and accounting qualifications will open door for you with any of the MNCs.