Hostile work place

I recently secured a position with one of the leading global investor services firm. I was placed temporary under a team care taker. As a new guy, I am not familiar with the new environment and working procedures. I did some mistakes. However, my senior yelled at me…saying I give you until Friday. The way this person spoke out was damn rude. I wonder anyone can advise how to handle this situation. I did nothing wrong. Perhaps like my friends said earlier, bad luck.

i had a bad boss once who made my life a misery. Since I had little experience, I had to stick it out and was unhappy and stressed for the whole period. After I gain valuable experience, I moved on as the situation was becoming unbearable. With hindsight, I wished I had started looking for a new job sooner as I was kidding myself in thinking we would soon have an effective working relationship. My advice is to defend yourself in a professional manner. His work colleagues will soon see his is being unreasonable. And make sure he isn’t doing a character assassination on you to his boss and colleagues. It would be worth noting your achievements as you don’t want to go into an appraisal to find he will lambast you with every mistake you’ve done during the past few months. If the situation becomes untenable, keep a record of his unreasonable action and diplomatically request to HR that they transfer you. The one thing I have learnt is to never underestimate the level of office politics - I bet half the office already dislike this idiot. In the meantime, stick it out and look for a better opportunity. You may have to come up with an inventive excuse for wanting to leave during interviews though as saying “my boss is an *@!%” will perhaps not go down to well. Although my new company may not have the kudos of the old one, I am a lot more happier and my career is developing much more quickly. Leaving was the best thing I did!

You need to assess the situation honestly (for yourself, not us). Was his criticism justified? The “I did nothing wrong” is irrelevant since they didn’t hire you just so you would do nothing wrong. If you are not meeting the expectations then you have a problem. If he’s just a d&^k who is upset at the world then you need to be calm and cool and let him melt-down on his own. People will notice who is the calm, cool one.

No offense, but I doubt when you were looking around and trying to get into the industry, anyone ever told you that it’s a great industry because your bosses are really nice and supportive. How do you stack up against your peers? Does this guy yell at everybody? If so you probablty don’t have as much to worry about… Is there anyone you work with who used to do your job who could coach you a little?

myreturn008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recently secured a position with one of the > leading global investor services firm. I was > placed temporary under a team care taker. As a new > guy, I am not familiar with the new environment > and working procedures. I did some mistakes. > However, my senior yelled at me…saying I give > you until Friday. The way this person spoke out > was damn rude. > > I wonder anyone can advise how to handle this > situation. I did nothing wrong. Perhaps like my > friends said earlier, bad luck. Sounds like you are pretty new to the firm, so for now, just keep doing your work and try not to let it get under your skin. Try to see how the office politics play out and learn about what other people think about this guy. If you’re working at a big company, he can’t just “threaten” to give you until Friday…it’s not that easy to hire or fire people. I dealt with some jerks in research too…for a while, I thought it might be better to openly retaliate and to rip the guy a new one, but just decided to ignore him and not let him get to me. This just further infuriated him, but because he was the only one that people saw getting angry, it only made him look bad. I handled myself with dignity and poise. The result is, many people on the team now know he is a total punk and I’ve moved onto bigger and better things on the buy-side.

I never let anyone (bosses included) put their butts on my head. As long as you act professionally in the office and principally as a person, the right is on your side and let no one dump BS on you. I am born a straight shooter so I’d approach the issue directly and talk to him in the open. You’d be surprised how much respect people give you for that honesty and courage. You don’t need sympathy in the work place, you need respect.

phBOOM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I never let anyone (bosses included) put their > butts on my head. As long as you act > professionally in the office and principally as a > person, the right is on your side and let no one > dump BS on you. I am born a straight shooter so > I’d approach the issue directly and talk to him in > the open. You’d be surprised how much respect > people give you for that honesty and courage. You > don’t need sympathy in the work place, you need > respect. This is more of a bold move, but there are times I wish I did this more often. A lot of times, by speaking in the open in a diplomatic fashion, usually your boss will become self-conscious and back off. You don’t want to be out there cursing him or anything, but do speak audibly and let them know how you feel. I actually think this is a very effective tactic and I am not sure why I hadn’t done this more often (maybe just because I’m not really a confrontational person, but still…)

Tell the guy you want to buy him a beer after work on Friday or Thursday. It will work. It’s hard to do, but if you can establish a relationship with him outside of work, he’ll start treating you like a human. Don’t grin and bear it, solve it. Man up

Obviously no one has read Liar’s Poker: “Either learn karate or lift weights”

Some people put up with it, some people try to talk to them directly, some people put the bastard in his place while not caring if they get fired… I’m somewhere in between the 2nd and the 3rd. My pride will be the death of me and if it’s an EXCELLENT opportunity then I’d probably fall closer to the 1st. I agree with the previous poster if he is SOLELY picking on you then yeah this something you should worry about but if he is just a d*ck in general suck it up or tell him to f*ck off if you can afford to.

What if you don’t make the Friday ultimatum???

first things first… people like your colleague are generally mean to EVERYONE (not just to you), so don’t take it personally. having said that, i’d like to think: “it’s better to have one less enemy”, as opposed to “it’s better to have one more friend”. no need to make ur colleague ur best friend, but also don’t make things too acrimonious that u guys become bitter enemies and can’t work on a project together. lastly, how u react towards his personality shows YOUR BOSS how u would, in the future, lead as a manager. so use this as an opportunity to prove to your boss that u are a good “people manager”. cheers!

and when i said “YOUR BOSS”, i meant the Top Boss… not this colleague who is snr in-charge of the team.

Folks, I was yelled in my second days in the organization. This person as a senior also yelled at other people. I knew she put blame on me as a new guy. What to do since I need this experience? I suppose many like me need to bite the bullet for the initial stage. I am calm and cool enough to do put my head down doing my work. I am sure like the above mentioned, this person will melt down in the long run. However, this is a great experience to see the actual work environment in the financial markets. …

Just think of them as a high school football coach… they yell because that’s what they do…

I’d quit. Life is too short to take shit from anyone at work, especially dicks who are really nothing in life and will never be as rich as they think they will be.

If you cant take the heat, stay away from the oven Seriously, if you dont take it personally it shouldnt be an issue.

Haven’t u thought about that shes yelling at your work? Maybe ur not performing and such, or not meeting her expectations. I’d see it as a challenge to self-correct and shut her up with your performance.

Perhaps you should accidently “meet” up with her for drinks after work some night…the rest you can fill in by yourself